88 Suburban conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done bud. Time to build a rat now. :D
Thats probably a few years down the road but I definately plan to build one. I've been hanging on to parts here and there for the past 10 years. So when my daughters get a little older and more independent and I can spend a little more time in the garage it will be time to find the right body and get started.

I finally sold the original 14 bolt rear end from this thing so guess what time it is...

Time for paint! I started stripping the roof of its roof rack, drip rails, and rib trim tonight.

The plan is to completely finish the roof first so it is out of the way. Then I will start tearing down and patching the rest of the body to get it ready for paint.

I paint cars for a living so this is nothing new to me. It may take a little longer than doing it at work though due to doing all of the prep outdoors and working with my small compressor at home. The actual painting will be done at work though

Got a gallon of paint ordered so I can get started on the roof. Went with Kirker Ultra-Glow Acrylic Urathane "Super Jet Black" Its pretty cheap and it holds up well from what I have seen. Plus its made in the USA

Nice....!!

went back to see this from the beginning...nice work...for a body man..you can turn a good wrench...lol.. :D...

My first Gallon of paint showed up today.

I will probably need another gallon of black at some point plus the (TOP SECRET) color for the 2 tone, but this will get me started and at least get the roof done.

Think I'm going to go to Summit racing today and pick up some sheet metal. Inner fenders, and lower quarter patch panels.

I was out getting the new inners out of their boxes so I figured I would grab a pic of one with the current state of the Suburban in the background. i had to tarp the roof because their are a Zillion holes in it from all the trim and roof rack that I pulled off.

Well, If everything goes well I will be painting the roof and the new inner fenders in the morning.

Spent that last couple evenings sanding the roof and doing 2 rounds of POR 15 Metal Prep to try to kill the rust.

The roof and inner fenders are done. Pretty excited to put these inner fenders in. Might see if I can find some stainless hardware for them since they turned out so good

thanks. Now to clean and/or paint all the drip rails and roof rack components and get them reinstalled

I snapped a couple pictures with my wifes phone since it takes pretty decent pictures.

The santa claus in the big brown truck showed up with gifts

I'm going to stay focused on getting the roof finished and maybe even the hood before I start on these. I kind of want to do a car show in town in a week and don't want the quarters in the middle of being patched.

Latest posts

Back