88 Suburban conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sanded a few dirt nibs out of the front portion of roof where its flat so I had to take a pic.

Not going to worry about the rear half. Its got a roof rack and trim on all of the ribs. And besides its about 7 feet in the air. Nobody will ever see it.

looks good.
I'm doing a 4x4 conversion on a 77 2x supercab f150 and a 2000 2x f150. no interesting pics to post up yet working on prepping the frame right now want to post the frame mods as one complete series

Going to have a few free evenings this week so I decided to pull the rear bumper off so I can work on my quarter panel patches.
After fighting with the bottom outer carriage bolt on each side I finally got the cut of wheel out and cut the head and knocked them through.

Finally, the bumper is off!

looks good.
I'm doing a 4x4 conversion on a 77 2x supercab f150 and a 2000 2x f150. no interesting pics to post up yet working on prepping the frame right now want to post the frame mods as one complete series

That 2000 will be an interesting conversion. Going with a straight axle?

Body work is coming along good. All of the patchwork is done and I have gotten the worst of the bodywork done.

I chose to panel bond the lower quarters in. First I trimmed them so the seam would fall right along the center of the molding. 3M panel bond is a great product but it can shrink a little and I didnt want a line showing back up later down the road that would be visible. Then I cut my quarters leaving them about 3/4" longer than my patch panel. I then ground all surfaces to be bonded and applied a bead of 8115 panel bond and spread it out making sure all bare metal was covered. Once the panel was in place I clamped and screwed it to hold it untill it dried.

After 24 hours I removed the screws and clamps. Then I beveled the screw holes slightly with a die grinder and filled the holes with more panel bond. Once it was dry it was cleaned up with a grinder in preperation for body work.

And now to where I am currently at. Body work on both quarters is done and ready to prime and block.

This week I will start fixing the little dents and dings in the doors and fenders and hopefully get the whole thing in primer.

I've been busy over the past two weeks!

Started off with fixing all of the little dents and feathering out the chips and two tone edge.

Then it was on to primer

Followed by hours and hours of blocking

There is so much flat area to block on one of these it isnt even funny.

Finally it was time to take it to work to paint. Started by masking the whole vehicle and then masking again to spray the center color.

But since I havent told you all my center color I'm going to make you read till the end to see it.

So after the center color dried overnight I re-masked it and sprayed the black.

And finally!!! The finished product

Got a little more work done on the SuburBEAST.

Undercoated the inner lip of the fenders so I could install my new painted inner fenders.

I think they turned out pretty good.

Then this morning I did a little wetsanding and buffing. The blue didn't need much but the black had a few dirt nibs here and there.

So now it is ready for reassembly. I bought new door handle and lock cylinder gaskets and a new crank for the tailgate glass along with a new belt molding for the tailgate. I have my first show planned on 9/10 so I have a week to put everything together.

Spent most of my day today putting doors together and installing wheel opening trim. Then gave it a quick wash so the family and I could drive it to a cook out. Still needs the hood painted, the rear bumper installed and eventually some silverado trim on the lower 2 tone line but its getting close.

I am very happy with the way it is turning out.

Darn nice burb and an ambitious project. Did you put the brace from the frame to cross member so the steering box don't tear it apart there? Seems like anything bigger that 31x10.50s will eventually self destruct the rivets.

Is that brace an aftermarket item? None of the square bodies I have had apart had a steering box brace? I have seen the plate you can weld on to reinforce that area, just not a brace.

I finally got my roll of silverado side molding so I took a few before and after pics.

I thought this one was cool

Before side molding

After side molding

I'm very happy with the way it looks.

Latest posts

Back