Red Tails Willys 5.3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on a 47 Willys Jeep...named Red Tails...paying homage to a relative who was a Tuskegee Airman. Bought the jeep last spring from a off-road enthusiast. Hope to have it running by the summer.

The day I saw it and made a deal to buy it
WillysJeep6.jpg
In the garage...going to remove the "battering ram" bumper!
WillysJeep2.jpg
Novack LS motor mounts
WillysJeep5.jpg
5.3 engine
WillysJeep3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice project.
You have some prestigious relatives, Sir. #Tuskegee Airman. Very cool. Real war heroes.

Going to use it stock...want this to be as "Simple" as it can possibly be...just want to make a cruiser to go to show and other events
You're going to have a cruiser that will do 10s. :D I'm giggling just thinking about it. Maybe that is what I need for my altered.

I have a dream of building an old jeep with a 7.3 powerstroke. It will never happen but its fun to dream. I love the simplicity of original jeeps though.

I love the simplicity of the early Jeep. Simple to fix with hand tools in the middle of nowhere at night. That engine with the light weight of the Jeep should make it fly! [P

The Tuskeegee airmen were tough. My wife has been to the museum and she said it is a must-see for history buffs.