Rat Racer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratty57

Ok, I'm hoping that you guys on here can give me opinions on this one...

It is a 1970 1600CC Ford (Kent) motor backed up by a 1973 pinto transmission. The tires are new Pirelli's.

I would need to get windscreens and some other items to get it street legal.

It is (was) modeled after a 1930s MG racer. I think that this thing has a ton of potential but want to get an idea on a few things...

1.) What do you think is a reasonable price for something like this?

2.) Thoughts on converting to a small V8? Possibly a small for say 260 or 289? Do you think the frame could handle the additional weight? If not maybe an aluminum Buick 215? I think a V8 would set this apart.

3.) Huge fuel can - Is this a safety hazard if the car were to get hit?

Looking for any other thoughts and opinions

Attachments

• Racer.jpg
    Racer.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 86
You asked for opinions; well mine are offered, off to the side, and free.

[1] I think 'made' cars are worth more than potential buyers want to pay. The guy who built this car probably has about $30,000 in shop time, scavenged parts and store-bought parts, in it, and is trying to sell it for $15,000. Lots of people will try to beat him down to 10 to 12,000 dollars. Pay what he's asking, if you want the car.
[2] Your frame probably will hold up a small V-8, weight-wise, but it might not take the extra torque twists. Of course, your tires won't hook up much so they'll spin a lot and wear out very quickly, if the extra torque on your wire wheels doesn't mangle those pretty wheels right away.
[3] If some jerk plows into the back of you and lights up your gas tank, I don't think a few more gallons is going to make much difference to you. The tank looks right on there.

These are free opinions; and you get what you pay for.

agreed MM,

if you really wanted to, these 1600's were a great engine.. capable of up to 150hp,, !!

couple of side draught dellortos' , a lumpy cam , headers, little bit of head work, and tough they could take all that for most of the day ..

in that frame/body it could be more than a handful

OK. First off, the steering wheel is on the wrong side! [S:D

Otherwise, I like the look and the set-up. I don't think it needs more engine for what it is. Put it together and drive it. Have fun with it for a while. If it is really not powerful enough for you, then look for that little V8. But, remember what happened to a lot of the Sunbeam Tigers. I agree that if you decide to go with big power, you will need to rethink the frame and the wheels and tires.

More pictures! Please.

1) If it were me, I'd value it as the sum of its parts... meaning, I'd consider what it would cost ME to assemble this collection of parts and pieces, take it from there...

2) The little 4 should move that cart faster and quicker than sensible.

3) If you get hit, you're in trouble, fuel tank or no fuel tank.

Even if the tank holds 20 gallons, there is nothing that says you have to fill it up.

With a pinto motor, you can ride a long time on 5 gallons of gas. My dad has a total bucket with a 1600 in it. With low gets in the rear different, it should be plenty of motor.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to pay big bucks for this and then start changing stuff, you are at a loss right there......A bigger engine is going to need different wheels, bigger brakes and on and on.......and you havent even got a body yet.

If you want to make something your own, might as well start with something cheap.

Thanks guys for the input. I will likely keep the 1600 CC as many of you have suggested that the power to weight ratio will be quite sufficient.

The one thing that I would like to do though is to convert it to an automatic transmission (due to medical reasons). It currently has a 1973 pinto manual trans. I can obtain a 1973 auto for less than 400.00.

What are some of the things to consider when trying to do a swap?

Thanks again for the input.

Thanks guys for the input. I will likely keep the 1600 CC as many of you have suggested that the power to weight ratio will be quite sufficient.

The one thing that I would like to do though is to convert it to an automatic transmission (due to medical reasons). It currently has a 1973 pinto manual trans. I can obtain a 1973 auto for less than 400.00.

What are some of the things to consider when trying to do a swap?

Thanks again for the input.
Measure everything. It should fit, but no one likes surprises. Get all of the parts needed for the swap. Trans, torque converter, shifter and linkage, kick-down linkage. Maybe a few other small items. Make sure there is a neutral safety switch in the system. Manual transmissions don't really need one, so it likely doesn't have one.

There are likely a few other things to consider that I have forgotten.

Then you need to decide what to do with the extra peddle. :D

Latest posts

Back