1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always listen to what my wife has to say. You just never know...[ddd
Sounds like your Father -in-law and I worked at the same shop. Way back when We always had some sort of blocks to do to doors,hoods and trunk lids just what you did.(Of course we did it out of sight of the customers as they would get a little nervous watching us twist the door on a brand new Caddy:D.)
When people point out"Mistakes" to me on my rides I just look at them and reply"Buy it and you can fix it."But at 6 foot 3 and 300 lbs, that doesn't happen too often. :eek: :D [cl [cl
Everything thing is looking great.[P
Torchie

hand in a glove

Your rad fits like a hand in a glove. Look'n fine. Enjoyed the details about your father in law and the tire in a blanket solution. Great stuff. Enjoying following along.

[P

thanks burger, already anxious to get on with this one haha.

Torchie I give that lesson to all the younger guys: listen to the woman. dont fight about something you are just going to agree to in a couple days anyway, just agree.

finished laying in the harnesses today, on the last 41 I drilled holes for the fenders which was a pain in the tuchus because I needed to pare the individual fender harness from its plugs to pass through. on ths truck I decided to use the wiring pass through holes behind the rad support.

54551522768__5EB443AC-277D-4588-8AB9-3C63F70CE0E4 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
54551605792__6A3D5B7D-4901-486B-80BE-B2A17C47B331 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

while I was doing that I noticed a plug at the end of the harness I couldnt account for, a couple actually. turns out it was the last ECM connector I had forgotten.

54551523224__3A8B4277-EB0F-41F9-BB53-207FC2BB056F by Joe Doh, on Flickr
54551524975__C97159E4-EB57-4ADB-BF8D-495371C13A84 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

so I ran it to the big pass through I had created (and luckily had not sealed). It is very nice to just plug stuff in when you lay it out in the same rough configuration.

54551606140__6D8FCD55-6795-4DE6-AAD2-D21A431EF765 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
54551602900__531D7E93-C6BE-484D-A113-E5CE0D6DC62A by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I mounted the vintage air system. after doing the last one this was a very fast operation.

IMG_9266 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9267 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

everything is hooked up now (except the lights front and rear) so tomorrow I will get the bed off for finish welding and maybe try a start while its outside.

I fixed the hinge I drilled out, my tap collection keeps growing, now I have a 3/8 18 :/

IMG_9274 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

pushed it out and hooked up the last of the connectors. look how nice the door shuts! except the window arms hit the inside handle arm.

IMG_9277 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I was in such a hurry I forgot until the last second it didnt have any oil in it, I had peeled the reminder off the air cleaner when I painted it. cranked it with the fuel pump relay out then put it back in, and... no fuel pump. click for vid, this is with a little gas in the tbi.

IMG_9276 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

good oil pressure, voltage at the pump connector, so its the pump. the pump of a working running driving truck taken apart in october. I suppose you think hubris is funny. well wait I am not done.

IMG_9278 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got the bed on the dolly and pushed in, love that dolly.

IMG_9279 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9280 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9281 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

started to finish up the bed weld since I didnt feel like running for a pump, on the second tack the wire fused to the tip. my last tip. I invented a few words after that.

pump tomorrow! I liked what I heard of the smithys, for that second they were barking.

woop woop!

IMG_9293-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

it has a weak cylinder, I am guessing a fouled plug from sitting. with the dual exhaust I know which side its on at least haha. cap rotor plugs wires probably oughta fix it.

thanks torchie!

runs like a swiss watch now, click for vid

IMG_9327.TRIM by Joe Doh, on Flickr

kind of a funny story, the last TBI 4.3 I did needed a thorough cleaning so I got some berrymans and went to town. I forgot berrymans doesnt evaporate though, at least not very quickly, so I actually had to pull the plugs and crank out all the excess. which was ok because I was putting new plugs in anyway, when I pulled number 3 the carb cleaner was all over the plug and clued me in that I should probably purge the cylinders. it looked like I was cooking fat over a tire fire for a while, that berrymans cleaned the living end out of the top end.

I also installed a new cap and rotor and like I thought they were in poor shape, carbon everywhere and rust on the rotor tip. when I put the rotor on I noticed how easy it was to get it slightly crooked, so I checked the cap and you can see (maybe, the bottom ones in the picture have a groove worn in them) the rotor made lots of collisions with the cap terminals because the PO had it on crooked. 'cest la vie!

IMG_9326 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

found my gauge problem I think

IMG_9304 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

probably from the first start, I had the plug in the gauges upside down for a second. easy enough to fix.

got the bed all welded up too. we arent tilting at perfection, but it looks appropriate to me. this bed I found upside down in the side yard of a 200 year old farm, it has a lot of farmer inspired repairs, including one that I wish I had noticed earlier. the drivers rear corner is outboard of place about an inch. maybe later, I still need to do the rear floor mount and then wood bed.

IMG_9303 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9305 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9306 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9338 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got all the engine wiring tucked away, and went to install the fan. I want to know what kind of clodpated citified moron orders a radiator fan combo (sold together as a combo!) and doesnt check the fit until he is ready to install?

IMG_9334 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9335 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

it doesnt fit. its about an inch too big. probably that inch I saved ordering a 21x19 instead of a 22x19. I feel like a real dumb ****, but in a real "ha ha" kind of way.

should have more to show tomorrow.

thanks man, they told me to get porked. apparently I had 2 months to lodge a complaint. I have a smaller bosch I have been saving, it really moves the air so I am sure it will work.

I fixed the widow mechanism, now it goes up AND down and doesnt get stuck on the door latch mechanism any more.
IMG_9371 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9372 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

picked these LED up local after a fruitful search for something small enough to fit. these should work great

IMG_9376 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9377 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

this is looking straight down the bedside, the tailgate is to the right, you can see the wag the bedside has away from the floor that I had cut square.

IMG_9365 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

this picture shows the real problem, its welded up in the wrong place. I tried cutting it loose but no luck yet, its farmer poop welded six different ways. need a time machine to put it in the right spot.

IMG_9367 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

need to straighten the fenders too. these things are like baby goats, always falling over for no reason at all. that bend in the bottom, I put the fender on a cart and a minute later it fell off all by itself.

got the fenders mounted solid though, need the pieces welded to the running boards and the bed is ready to go back on.

IMG_9363 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9369 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I find it intriguing that your doors and my 37 doors have all the same structure and mechanisms. The lever style door handle and the push style I have is the only difference.

26725196617_169ea320e5_b.jpg

the door parts on these are a giant pain to work on so I am not surprised to hear they are used for many years.

Awesome I’m really enjoying this build. It’s going to look great when you get it finished.

thanks!

when I got the hood for this truck it was in two pieces, the wind had bent it and ripped it loose. I straightened it out and welded the hinge back on the ripped side, but I just could not get it to fit right.

IMG_9402 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9403 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

but I have a deep bench, and spares to spare. this one almost fell on, once I got the hinges and latches all lubed up.

IMG_9410 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9413 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

its even the right color... sort of.

IMG_9416 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I will paint the smooth parts and sand it back. it will look right.

I did the passenger door today too, the inside handle rod was in the bottom of the door and rusty, it broke the first time I used it. but the latch took grease and did not require a rebuild so potato potatto.

I had to grab a window from the farm team, I was planning to leave the cracked one but there was a piece missing.

IMG_9412 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9411 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9418 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9417 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the days of me grunting big stuff around with the (lack of) help from the fairer sex are over and done with. I bring this home in a week!

IMG_1086 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

its a smooth tire so just driveway use right now, but I will put down a packed limestone path to the back forty (yards) and that will allow me almost unlimited mischief! if my brother in law is reading, thanks again!

Sitting on a S-10 chassis and running gear[ddd:rolleyes:;)

it DOES have a 3 liter gm 4 cylinder! cant chop it though without losing lift, I am betting a coat of paint and maybe some traction tires is all I will ever do.

closed out the running boards. this is before grinding and painting.

IMG_9430 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9431 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I did a lot of little stuff, like cutting off the rear bumpstops and tying up wiring, tapped the holes for the windshield, installed the gasket. but I had to quit, a nice local guy came by yesterday and is building a 46 on s10 chassis so I cut him a set of mounts. he wanted to use s10 bushings so I changed the mounts slightly.

IMG_9433 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

used the 11ga on his set

more hannah work tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back