Stainless frame, opinions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Whats everyone's opinions? I know it would be exspensive for materials but I think it would be neat. Im getting ready to start on my next project and am just throwing around ideas.

Whats everyone's opinions? I know it would be exspensive for materials but I think it would be neat. Im getting ready to start on my next project and am just throwing around ideas.

I think it would be super awesome. I was planning on building one from stainless if the frame on my 32 coupe is too far gone.

Lots of flap discs, cut-off wheels and drill bits, but totally worth it.

I say go for it!

Stainless frame screams 70's show car to me. I'd put my money somewhere else.

Two of my friends are building cars with mostly stainless steel parts, including frames, axles, wishbones, steering components, etc. One is a 32 Ford and the other is a 26 Ford. The nice thing is that stainless tigs up really well and polishes out like chrome.

It is a lot of work and expen$ive, but the cars should last forever. I'll try to find the links and post them so you can get some ideas.

Don

Here, I found one of the two build threads:

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-build-logs/45376-my-26t-coupe-build-thread.html

Last edited:
had a couple of guys in the ntba that had polished stainless frames under their t's, they spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing for the show and shine event that happens at all t-bucket nationals, but they sure did look sharp.

If you're finishing the car completely and just a light clean up before the next show, then yes
If it's an everyday driver then no, too much maintenance.

Two of my friends are building cars with mostly stainless steel parts, including frames, axles, wishbones, steering components, etc. One is a 32 Ford and the other is a 26 Ford. The nice thing is that stainless tigs up really well and polishes out like chrome.

It is a lot of work and expen$ive, but the cars should last forever. I'll try to find the links and post them so you can get some ideas.

Don

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-build-logs/45376-my-26t-coupe-build-thread.html

That is one awesome build your friend is doing. Very nice!

Don

This build is truly outstanding. Some trick machining on this one. It's giving me a whole new schwack of ideas for my '32...

I'm sold on stainless. Thanks for posting the link.

I'm going to go the other way on this, even though I REALLY like unique stuff, If you have never polished anything stainless, go get a piece and see what it really takes to make it like a mirror. You may find that, that is not what you want to spend all your free time doing...

One other thing about that build, do any of you think that tig bead is anywhere large enough compared to the thickness that was welded? No chamfers, and dished welds... Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm going to go the other way on this, even though I REALLY like unique stuff, If you have never polished anything stainless, go get a piece and see what it really takes to make it like a mirror. You may find that, that is not what you want to spend all your free time doing...

One other thing about that build, do any of you think that tig bead is anywhere large enough compared to the thickness that was welded? No chamfers, and dished welds... Thoughts?

It looks like he had too much amperage on some welds, and not enough on some others. Bead size depends on the tungsten he used. Looks like 1/16 on some and 3/32 on others.

To respond to the polishing comment you made...building what we're building is all about work. You get back what you put into your car/truck. Once stainless has been polished, it's way easier to keep shiny...

It looks like he had too much amperage on some welds, and not enough on some others. Bead size depends on the tungsten he used. Looks like 1/16 on some and 3/32 on others.

To respond to the polishing comment you made...building what we're building is all about work. You get back what you put into your car/truck. Once stainless has been polished, it's way easier to keep shiny...

Some of those welds are structural areas brackets and such... just seemed rather small.

I'm just saying, stainless is easy to scratch deeply, and it is very difficult to get it out when that happens... If you do build it I applaud your efforts! [cl
I've welded some stainless, and it tends to crystallize on the back side of the welded area, I believe it is practice to back fill the tubing with argon to reduce this issue... I'm sure there are more experienced welders that can comment further...

Yeah, it tends to do that...even after using argon to cool the weld. Problem is there isn't a way to get the argon to the backside of the stainless. Some guys will have another line of argon on the backside so that it purges the air away from the work piece avoiding contamination...and then crystallization...

The battery box I built for the bike I'm building did that. I don't have another line for argon, so it is what it is.

Stainless looks so nice when polished up. But like you said, most have no idea how much work, time, tools are involved to get it to look good.

No harm, no foul. I knew what you meant. :)

Not sure what the cost involved....but this 32 had stamped stainless frame rails.

WheelofTime2010666.jpg

WheelofTime20101103.jpg

WheelofTime2010032.jpg

Latest posts

Back