What power steering pump ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Got home and it's time to time to dust off the tools and get back to work on the Packard.
I'm going to the boneyard soon and wonder what vehicle I should be looking for to source a power steering pump that is compatible with the Mustang II type steering rack I'm using ?? :confused:[S
I know that the older style GM pumps for conventional steering boxes have too much pressure for a rack. I'm not worried about mounts to fit the BBC, I can fab them, but it will need to have the same multi-rib pulley and hopefully, lines that will connect right up.
An help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC01917.jpg
    DSC01917.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 26
Three unrelated things. One, welcome back; and two, will you post up what you learn about cross breeding pumps with Mustang two power racks, please. I am just going to try a 1974 Plymouth pump and see what happens. And, three, did you see your Cadillac in the last Canadian Hotrod magazine on page 30?
Keep on tinkering.

If you're going to fab mounts, just use a Ford pump.
By the way, welcome home :)

Yeah, I used a Ford pump on the Caddy but it was kinda bulky, hoping for something smaller to fit tighter to the engine, the Ford pump barely cleared the steering shaft and inner fender.
Good to be home !

Three unrelated things. One, welcome back; and two, will you post up what you learn about cross breeding pumps with Mustang two power racks, please. I am just going to try a 1974 Plymouth pump and see what happens. And, three, did you see your Cadillac in the last Canadian Hotrod magazine on page 30?
Keep on tinkering.

One - Thanks!
Two - Will do !
Three - Yes !

Attachments

• july 24 2012 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    july 24 2012 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 21
Grab one off of a 94-01 mustang. They are a compact pump body, have a nice 4 bolt mounting style with a remote reservoir. Also use a modern serp belt and have the right pressure. Bonus they are plentiful and cheap

Grab one off of a 94-01 mustang. They are a compact pump body, have a nice 4 bolt mounting style with a remote reservoir. Also use a modern serp belt and have the right pressure. Bonus they are plentiful and cheap

Yeah, also taurus. I see them at the crusher and could take anything I wanted to unbolt for just a few $$. They are also a good place to get the awesome 3G alternator with the correct configuration. I put one on my rpu and I'll never run another one wire delco again.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Yeah, also taurus. I see them at the crusher and could take anything I wanted to unbolt for just a few $$. They are also a good place to get the awesome 3G alternator with the correct configuration. I put one on my rpu and I'll never run another one wire delco again.

Right on ! Pick n Pull has a ton of Taurus's just a half hour drive away. 50% off day should be coming soon and they also usually have a couple Lincolns there so I may scalp one while there for the roof on the Packard.
I'm not familiar with the 3G alternator [S[S could you bring me up to speed on it?? I'm no wiring genius so if anything deviates from the usual GM based wiring kit instructions, I'm confused...:confused::confused:

Thanks for the tip. :)

Right on ! Pick n Pull has a ton of Taurus's just a half hour drive away. 50% off day should be coming soon and they also usually have a couple Lincolns there so I may scalp one while there for the roof on the Packard.
I'm not familiar with the 3G alternator [S[S could you bring me up to speed on it?? I'm no wiring genius so if anything deviates from the usual GM based wiring kit instructions, I'm confused...:confused::confused:

It actually uses 2 wires, one hot all the time and one hot with switch on. The great thing about the 3G (besides just being a much superior unit) is they make close to 90 amps at idle and the regulator and brushes are accessible from the back, no need to break the case.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf

It's a good idea to clip the wires so you have the connector plug. 2 of the 3 wires just loop back to the alternator. This pictures was from a Bronco site and they have some stuff on the amp meter which you can ignore. And the main big wire just goes onto whatever the positive battery cable goes to.

Latest posts

Back