Hooking jumper cables to the starter?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

Will hooking the hot side of jumper cables to the large positive post on a starter to jump the battery cause a problem? I didn't think so. My starter started acting weird and hanging up after I jumped it. (The battery is a bear to get to.:eek:

My opinion from experience is the cable makes a lot better contact on the lead of the battery cable. The smaller contact area of clamping directly to the starter lug often causes very high resistance.

I found the problem when I took the starter off. The PO had bolted a starter with a 5/8" hole to the bellhousing that has a 7/16 hole. Then he must not have had a 7/16" bolt for the bottom hole, so he stuck a 3/8" bolt through it and put a nut on it. Long story short - The starter, even though it felt tight, could move just enough to lock up every now and then. I put a hollow dowel in the top starter hole, a 7/16" bolt in the bottom hole, and now everything is just hunky-dory. I am sorta getting tired of the PO's surprises, but sooner or later I'll have things straightened out. :D

Latest posts

Back