Ford Top Loader 4 Speed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Im on a quest to get a 4 speed for my truck. With no luck on finding a Muncie locally. I ended up getting a Ford Top Loader. Included with it was the shifter assembly, complete driveshaft with yoke, a Muncie bellhousing with fork, GM Flywheel, Hurst Shifter, and a long Truck shifter out of a Chevrolet. I have a procedure that allows you to adapt the Muncie bell to fit the top loader with some machine work.

Downside of this is its out of a 64 Mustang with a 289.
HEH C code trans... 25 spline output. Narrow body

Internally it looks great, he was driving the car and it shifted great. He pulled the drivetrain to go to a new motor with a C6.
Now got to decide if I should keep this or try to find a Muncie or go to a NV3500.

If you are going to put that 402 big block in the truck I think I would keep looking. Seems like the Muncie would hold up better.

I have read that the Muncie guys would switch to Top Loaders due to them being stronger. I am looking locally for a good Muncie.
And yes this is to go behind my Big Block 402.

Steven

I ran a toploader out of a 70 Mach I in my 68 Mustang drag car with a built 351 Cleveland. It never gave me a problem, even with slicks and 7000 rpm shifts.

I am running a toploader 3 speed in my 27 behind a 331 stroker, it has been abused for 26 years and has never been apart.

You should be fine.

Don

Ford trans

I mounted one on a 62 Buick engine, its ok I guess but I think Id keep looking. I did mine just like this :

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back