Easy fix for hazy autodarkening hood

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
I have been suffering through poor visibility on my welding hood. The lense on the front was "dirty looking" and could not be cleaned.

Turns out, lowes sells replacement lenses. They did not have the exact size I needed, but they had a larger size that could be cut down with normal scissors.

I now have a refurbished hood for $5 (plus lense material to redo it 3 more times). .....it is so much easier to weld when you can see the joint.

Last edited:
What kind of hood do you have? Most brands have direct-fit replacement lenses available...

It is a lincoln. Home depot (where I bought it), didn't stock the one for my model. I needed to be able to see yesterday, so I experimented with the bigger size. It took maybe 30 seconds to make it work for me.

Until yesterday, I didn't know they were replaceable.

Ah ok. Yeah being able to see helps! :D Understand the situation you were in, but for future reference you can usually source the direct fit ones pretty cheap. I usually keep a pack or two in the box for just that situation. Like a new helmet every time! Haha.

I was at least 5 years overdue for swapping them out.

I guess if you take a welding class or weld for a living, it is common knowledge. .....but I am self taught.

I've got to get a new auto dark hood, mine won't lighten up anymore. Good old cheap Chinese junk.:D
I used my old non darking hood Sat, couldn't see worth a crap myself. Between the crappy hood and crappy bifocals, I ended up with crappy looking welds too. Glad I have a grinder.

What offroad said ^^^
The not being able to see through the hood only gets worse the older ya get. Old eyes need more light.

I have to replace the clear cover lenses quite often. I had to put a cheater lens in my helmet too. My reading glasses should hold up longer now. It's getting to the point that my eyes are bad enough that if I'm not at the right distance from what i'm working on I can't see well.

don't you hate it when you lay down a really beautiful weld,,, half an inch away from the bit you needed to weld? !!

after that only to park a weld so crappy - where its meant to be -, even your grinder cringes...

I guess if you take a welding class or weld for a living, it is common knowledge. .....but I am self taught.

I've had mine for 15 years, never replaced the front cover glass, just scrape the spatter off it and promise I'll do it soon..... :eek:

The inside surface is replacable plastic, never got round to sorting that either.:eek:

The problem is I never think about it until I need to do some welding, so it gets put off.....for years.....

May be time for a new mask as the darkening bit seems to be irregular in stripes. Still, it means you can change darkness simply by twisting your head a little. [;)

dont feel bad! when I bought my next gen auto hood it came with 10 spare inner and outers. they are still right where I unpacked them [cl

seeing is believing

I wear 2.0 reading glasses all the time except when welding I change out to 3.25! Makes everything so crisp and clear . My boss bought me a new Jackson auto shade for Christmas last year! I got to pick what helmet I wanted and he paid for it ![cl So I picked the $400 one! I love it and as much welding as I do every day I have to change out front and interior lenses no less than once a week ( he picks up the tab on that too):D

I'm right there with ya Gussett
I use a 2.0 cheater lens.
I started off with a Huntsman, 43 years ago and cut my own glass lenses.
Went to auto darkening 15 years ago still glass lenses, 5 years ago bought a Miller Elite and just last summer gave that one to my son and bought a Miller Platinum. They have plastic lenses and if I'm doing a lot of mig work I change them every week.

Latest posts

Back