Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 PM

i Used 3/8 plate to make the mount , do you think i still need to reinforce the top plate ? The wisbones where just cut to fit the axle in place , I usually just tack weld things first until i have everything fitting nice . Couple pics of what it looks like now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190613_133156.jpg (127.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190613_133208.jpg (122.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtailboa View Post
i Used 3/8 plate to make the mount , do you think i still need to reinforce the top plate ?
Yes! I like to think of it this way... they don't call it a suicide front end for nothing. On something that important... l suggest gussets! I would put some cool looking plates on both sides of your top plate!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Your perch needs some "backbone" as Old Iron and Blue Eyed Devil said. From fbp's link, this design is far superior to a flat plate, no matter the thickness...

Again, do not compromise the integrity of your wishbones. Sleeve or fish plate as I described...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
do you think i still need to reinforce the top plate?
I don't think, I know.

The weight of a complete vehicle coupled with a working suspension will bend a flat piece of 3/8 plate like BUTTER.

Scale it down for an example - Take a flat strip of sheet metal in your hands. Bends pretty easy on the flat right? Now turn it up vertical and try to bend it - not so easy. That's with your hands and a thin piece of metal. The same concept applies with a heavy vehicle and a thick piece of metal.

Reinforce the perch.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The guys are 100% right. I marked up a photo to explain why they're saying what they are. The blue arrow is the force being placed on your steel plate, (in an upward direction), and the green lines are the distance between that force and the next support point. When a force is applied to a component away from the nearest support point, this creates a bending force shown by the red curved arrow (in engineering terms it's called a bending moment). If you held the plate with two fingers (one on either edge) and pushed up on the plate the same distance away, the plate would spin. Since the plate is fixed on one end in your case, you're putting a big bending force into that plate that increases and decreases as the suspension loads on it, which also results in cyclic stress and can result in fatigue especially in a poor design.

Make no mistake, this design needs attention before it can be considered safe, as you are at risk of not only bending the plate but can fatigue and crack it and you're testing fate as it is.

The gussets that OI showed should be added at a minimum.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_134449.jpg (191.2 KB, 22 views)

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM

Thanks everyone . My problem is trying to use the front end i bought . I intended on buying a nice front end and brake kit but 1500 US turns in 3000 Can by the time it gets to me . my first design was round perch ,but did not look right ,too stretched out . . So would adding the gussets on top be ok ,or should i redo everything like in the pic posted . The problem is having the spring out front and no travel for axle .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190522_123553.jpg (87.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Thanks everyone . My problem is trying to use the front end i bought . I intended on buying a nice front end and brake kit but 1500 US turns in 3000 Can by the time it gets to me . my first design was round perch ,but did not look right ,too stretched out . . So would adding the gussets on top be ok ,or should i redo everything like in the pic posted . The problem is having the spring out front and no travel for axle .
I'm from Canada as well, after you factor in the exchange I'm not sure where the extra $1000 comes from, but I get it. The exchange right now and shipping is killer. Sometimes the cheapest thing you can do is spend money on better parts

Gusseting the bracket you have should alleviate most of our concerns with the design, but as was mentioned you need to plate where you've pie cut your wish bones as well.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.