I feel embarrassed asking, but ethanol swap on a 51' F1; is it possible or worth it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedrods51

As stated above, I really am embarrassed asking this. But in highschool, you could use every dollar you get for a good ol' drop of gas. I just want a cheaper alternative fuel.

Alcohol dries out the components of the fuel system so you have to change the carburetor, fuel pump, possibly bigger fuel lines and different engine timing.
You'll not save one penny changing over cause, E85 ethanol takes more volume to make the same HP as gas and the fuel companies have already calculated this into their pricing at the pump.
The only advantage is the engine is easier to cool.
No need to be embarrassed. That's how we all learn.

Alcohol dries out the components of the fuel system so you have to change the carburetor, fuel pump, possibly bigger fuel lines and different engine timing.
You'll not save one penny changing over cause, E85 ethanol takes more volume to make the same HP as gas and the fuel companies have already calculated this into their pricing at the pump.
The only advantage is the engine is easier to cool.
No need to be embarrassed. That's how we all learn.

Correct! We used a rental 1/2 ton truck which used reg gas & E85,
Milage & power went out the door :mad: & spend more time trying to save .25 agallon than it was worth.

One good thing about E85,is NOone will steal it out of your ride! that sh*t burns when you siphon with a hose![dr DON"T ASK!!!!!!:(

The problem with any conversion is that you would spend more than if you just stayed with regular gasoline and got a fuel efficient car. There are some conversions that allow you to run used cooking oil in a diesel, but I think they are about a couple of thousand dollars too.

Don

Latest posts

Back