Turning Center Lines into something cool!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking894

I bought a pair of Center Line mags with Mickey Thompson tires at a recent swap meet for my rat rod truck. Unfortunately the Center Lines don't look right on it.

8618889528_d492380e8b.jpg

I had an old pair of Torque Thrust mags laying around that I used to have on my Chevelle. The mags are an off brand and one of them was a leaker so when I found a set of Americans for it I replaced them. We decided to cut the centers out of them to make a type of hubcap for the Center Lines. The centers will be bolted to the lug nuts when I've finished. The lug nuts have about three quarters of an inch of threads to bolt to so there's no problem attaching them with bolts.

8620050219_c90286af24.jpg

8617781729_692d476da0.jpg

Here is how we cut the mags down. This first two pictures show how we cut the mags down to size initially. We used a piece of plywood to mount our trusty Craftsman skill saw to. We cut a hole through it so the blade extended through the plywood. we then clamped the saw and plywood to a plywood box at the right height to cut through the mag. A carbide blade on the skill saw makes a nice clean cut.

8618878866_f5d963ce9a.jpg

8617770957_0dc3311769.jpg

Here is a picture after the outside of the rims has been cut off.

8618884940_d15ae8f112.jpg

We put the wheels on an old trailer axle to grind them down but it was apparent that it was going to take forever to take the extra half inch off of them.

8617777809_a9b47850c1.jpg

Norman came up with a plan to use the buffer to cut the wheels down. He sandwiched four carbide saw blades together to act as a grinder. We mounted the axle in a vice so that we could position it at the right height to the grinder. By having the wheel on a spindle we were able to move the wheel into the improvised grinder to slowly cut the wheels down. The grinder worked out great and it was definitely a lot faster and cleaner.

8618887430_bb48d26408.jpg

8617779559_ca443893d9.jpg

Keith

Last edited:
Now that is Radical....

Some of the stuff you guys think of boggles the mind.... how cool is that???
And the tooling idea.....wow...[cl

Way Kool

You did'nt mention it but i'm guessing at the end you each had eight finger and two thumbs [S i thought i was the only one to do crazy stuff like that, last time i ended up with 12 stiches and a great scar on my chin from a flying cutoff wheel. [P
I love it when a plan comes together, out standing job [cl

When we spun the wheels on the spindle we ground them until they spun smooth. At first it was obvious that they were out of balance because there was a noticeable vibration. We ground them down until the vibration was gone. It there's any noticeable vibration one I get them mounted we will put them on the bubble balancer to do a final adjustment.

Keith

That's a great idea.[cl I've seen some pretty good work turned out with a drill press and a side grinder. Never thought of doing wheels though. I've got ideas now for a tire balancer or brake lathe.[S mount the grinder in a swing bracket to engage the wheel. Thinking, thinking, thinking[S

I always wondered if the "Professor" got of the island with Gilligan and the rest of the castaways! Just imagine what kind of car you could build with some coconut shells and bamboo! Great way to re purpose some junk wheels and the results look fantastic!

Paul

Last weekend I drove about 600 miles round trip to Reno for the Reno Rockabilly Riot car show. I had no problems with tire balance with the new centers. They worked out great and I got 17 miles to the gallon with the taller tires. I only had one person figure out what we had done with the wheels.

9098767090_e1de18b028.jpg

Here are some pictures from the car show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157634243403336/

Keith

Latest posts

Back