Any hvac guys?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

A friend of mine is going try a divorce and she is short on cash so I'm trying to help fix her furnace for her. I found this piece melted down inside it. It appears to be what the power goes to for the heating element. Can anyone tell me what it's called?

0E1ADA2A-D1AC-4764-A15E-0D195F0262D8-464-00000028FD83ADB9_zps60bc09bc.jpg

I pulled the left one out to get a part number off of it.

Thermal high limit, thats usually caused by a loose or bad conection, be sure to replace the wire going to it or at least replace the terminal on the end.

Thanks guys. The wire is toast. I figured it was from a bad connection due to the way it melted down.

I used to be in HVAC, that does happen a lot in winter when there is a large strain on the power in an area the voltage drops (Typically I'm talking about an apartment complex) and the amperage goes up high enough to stress poor connections and melt wiring...

Yep, looks like a limit switch...

I got the furnace up and going. It appears to of had a power surge cause the compacitor for the blower was also blown.

I got the furnace up and going. It appears to of had a power surge cause the compacitor for the blower was also blown.

I'd be more willing to bet it was a low line voltage which causes amperage, especially at start up, to go through the roof... But perhaps you are also correct!

Glad to hear you got it running! [cl

Latest posts

Back