Just an old dude

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big"D"®

Hi, I'm just an older dude who couldn't ever afford to buy fancy cars and have always been interested in them. I built many model cars as a kid and have always liked doing mechanical things with my hands including minibikes, motorcycles and guitar playing.

I have physical limitations and back issues but still wish for a unique ride to wheel about in. So me and my son have been working on this project of a 1920 Hudson I found many years ago. It started out as a top quality front of some vintage tin that has been revised and recomputed several times over the years.

So we've collected, gathered and accumulated a convoluted mass of dreamy memorizing fantasy of what someone could do with not much money. Wheeling and dealing, believe it or not, this protect has cost not one actual penny as we've bought, sold, traded and mustered up whatever we can find and now have just about enough to finish this beast.

It is a 1920 Hudson Roadster. With a Super-bell 4" drop, mono leaf "suicide style" front end. A factory quadrajet on a 305 high output GMC truck motor with matching 700r4 trans. S~10 rear end mounted within a triangular 4~bar. The steering wheel and column came out of a 52 Hudson and is perfect for this automatic situation. Even though the steering column was originally set up for 3 speed standard on the column, it was easily modified here.

We used a vega style cross steer and intend on having a pan~hard AND a stabilizer bar on the front suspension. Using the old Lovejoy lever action shocks on the front with coil~over shocks on the rear. The rear quarters, trunk and frame are all from a 1930 Chevrolet 3 window coupe. The front of the frame has been pinched to allow the nose to slip neatly down over everything. We also dropped the frame 1.5 inches, cut off the frame horns and installed a tube for the front perch... Hope you all enjoy and am excited to have this new forum as a resource for fabbin' questions...

Last edited:
To Willowbilly3, "Great ideas always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds." I LOVE that.... That is so true.

Snake Farm, nice Willy. Is it still FWD? Love the Buick? Olds? I actually LOVE that body...

Bamamav, thanks for the RRR referral. This is a great site. I can see lots of talented people on here. I look forward to this resource...

This is what our car looked like new...
1920 Hud 4.jpg

And if I had seen this before I scuttled the Hudson parts and components. I sold the engine and trans to a man in england for $3000 many years ago. We bought the car for $1200. I did the same thing with the 1930 Chevy. Kept the stuff I wanted and sold the rest...
1920 Hudson Pikes Peak special.jpg

Bamamav, thanks for the RRR referral. This is a great site. I can see lots of talented people on here. I look forward to this resource...

You're welcome big"D". I have referred several people here from the HAMB and a few other places. Someone was good enough to send me this way, and I'm just returning the favor. And you're right, the talent here is amazing. Check out the calendars I did for the guys, great pics of great vehicles. While you're checking them out, go ahead and order up a few for your shop or man cave! :D

Also love the old license plate. Is it registered with those? I have a couple brass license plates from Maine.

In Maine, if you have genuine authentic plates or a plate, from the year of the vehicle then you can use them as long as you are currently registered as an antique or street~rod. Even though it doesn't match your registration plate or plates. You just have to have the true registered plates and proof of registration in the vehicle. Kind of strange but true. There is a document on line with the statute and specs you can print off to avoid ignorant cops who try and harass you about it. Also, I'm in the process of trying to secure this number with street~rod plates. Although I don't really need to. Seems kind of odd that you could legally use an antique plate that doesn't correspond to anything of the states documentation of that vehicle. The National Street Rod Association helped to secure all of that in Maine several years ago. Including Antique autos exempt from vehicle state inspections. But not street rods. They need inspections... Brass plates! Sounds interesting...

Last edited:
Welcome to the site
Great pics of the ole Hudson
Start a build thread and catch us up with the pics in a sequence from start to where you are now.

Latest posts

Back