Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Ford Engines

Ford Engines Ford engine talk & Q&A

Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Builder Junky!

Bama, more food for thought. I went through this very same thing for a few weeks this spring on my flathead. It turned out to be my new carbon spark plug wires. They wouldn't send the spark all that way to the correct plug all the time, just sometimes. I have round rubber grommets that the sparkplug wires go through to keep them tidy and when the wires were hugging each other they would sometimes share the spark, and fire out the carb. I caught on to this leaking electricity when I grabbed the wires once in the middle and got a shock. I fixed it by putting my 70 year old steel wires back on.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:54 PM

I don't mean this to sound like an insult but are you sure your wiring order is going the right direction? I've done it before.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:44 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

probably another stupid comment, but on those fords, can you drop in the dizzy with the shaft turned 180 degrees? done that on chryslers before...it will spit you in the face then...
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Another idea. My ex brother in law had an International that the outer shell on the harmonic ballancer had moved. Only trying to help.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I give up. Went out this morning, double checked timing, firing order, reset points, bypassed resistor, no fire. Points will fire when manually breaking them, but engine won't even backfire now. As I was resetting the points, I noticed the breaker plate has a LOT of up and down movement, way more than it should. It would move so much it would close the points, push it down and the gap would be right. I think the distributor is just plain worn out, probably needs building.

Fixing to go look on eBay for a small cap HEI. Wanted to go old school, but it ain't working out. Could probably buy a new ponts dizzy, but if I'm going to spend money I might as well go modern.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Could put a Pertronics setup in a points type dist.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nothing new to report. FedEx is dragging their feet, distributor was supposed to be here yesterday, no, they send it to their distribution center in Ellenwood [Atlanta] GA, doubt it comes today, either. Won't take long to swap it out, but it's looking like I'm not gonna make my buddys show in it Sat, don't think I'll have enough time to get it running and tested and cleaned up in time.

Kennyc, I could have just put a Pertronix in, but I figured as worn as the distributor is it might not work anyway. I got a small cap HEI off of eBay for $50, it's a Chinese knockoff I'm sure, so maybe it will be OK. Even if I have to change the module I'm in for less than $100.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Well, it runs. Sort of. Will not run below 2000 rpm, period. It's running lean, I put the choke on 3/4 way and it will sit there all day and run 2000 rpm or better, dies as soon as you try to take the choke off. I took the top off the carb, ran a stiff wire through the jets, no difference in running. Acts like maybe the idle circuit is clogged. Bowl was clean, no trash to be seen. Beginning to think the new carb is junk. I doubt Summit would do anything because it only had a years warranty, and I've had it nearly two years now. May just order a kit for it and try that, don't know.

I also checked fuel delivery, it's fine, carb stays halfway on the sight glass, flows good with line disconnected. Also ran a straight hot wire to battery to make sure I wasn't losing connection at the switch, didn't affect it. So, everything is pointing to the carb.

And to add insult to injury, it's leaking coolant somewhere in the front of the motor. Still not sure where it's coming from, all new rubber hoses, could be waterpump I guess, but it's dripping off the ps side head. I'm afraid it may be a head gasket.

So, right now, I'm pretty well disappointed. Still haven't gotten it running slow enough to try the transmission yet, so still in doubt about it. The way my luck with it is going, it'll probably be bad too.

So, I'm walking away from it for a while. May look for a running and driving Explorer or Crown Vic that I can drive before I part it out. I've about had it with this pos.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

i didn't read the whole thread as i can't see it very well this morn, left my glasses at work. the 5.0 ho has two different firing orders the old 289/302 and the 351 so depending on the cam in that motor it could be either. i always set float level at where the fuel just barley comes out the hole, i never use the plastic lens.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

All the symptoms tell me you have a vacuum leak.
Intake manifold gaskets, carb base gaskets, a vacuum line unplugged, a bad vacuum modulator or something you're overlooking.