Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 09-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Dan worked today, so I went to the shop and worked on some things I didn't need him for. One of the things I really enjoy doing is wiring a car from scratch. You don't get greasy, you don't burn or cut yourself, and it is relaxing.

I got the battery cables run from the battery to the starter. I could have used 4 gauge, but I decided to use 2 gauge just to make sure I get a good supply of current to the starter and to the rest of the electrical system. I also ran the rest of the wires that will bring current into the fuse panel, and got them ready to run through a hole in the body, when we remount it.

I also got the fuel tank ready to bolt to the frame, and worked on my fuel log to feed the 3 carburetors. I didn't want the input fuel hose to run up the firewall, where it could be seen, so I picked up some parts that will let me hide it behind the firewall, and run the fuel hose on the inside of the firewall. It will look a lot cleaner that way, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08033.jpg (117.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08032.jpg (116.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08028.jpg (95.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08027.jpg (130.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08026.jpg (98.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08025.jpg (92.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08024.jpg (79.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08023.jpg (115.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08029.jpg (114.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08030.jpg (143.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:50 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looks great.
Very clean wiring.

Torchie
Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Great progress.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looks really clean Don, it's obvious how much you like doing the wiring. My only comment, and please forgive me for sounding critical - are you sure you want the gas line inside the firewall? Fuel leaks don't happen very often, but if one ever does...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Looks great.
Very clean wiring.

Torchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerII View Post
Great progress.
Thanks, guys. Every little thing is one more thing out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Looks really clean Don, it's obvious how much you like doing the wiring. My only comment, and please forgive me for sounding critical - are you sure you want the gas line inside the firewall? Fuel leaks don't happen very often, but if one ever does...

My son had the same concern about the fuel line, but you figure, Model A's had the fuel tank sitting on top of your lap, right inside the cowl. Plus, I am going to build a second "firewall" on the inside so that the line passes down between the two walls.

If we are honest, all of these things are deathtraps anyway. My 27 has 11 gallons of gas sitting right behind my seat, and if it was ever hit hard in the rear.....

But I also have pretty good fire insurance, so ...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Right you are Don! After I commented I thought, my Graham has the fuel cell right behind the seats, with only a plywood panel closing it off from the passenger compartment...but it's also on the "non pressure side" of the fuel system. Thanks for posting all your updates, your progress is amazing.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That's a clean job for sure.
Is this a piece of lint? Or a new style fuel filter

Old 09-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Right you are Don! After I commented I thought, my Graham has the fuel cell right behind the seats, with only a plywood panel closing it off from the passenger compartment...but it's also on the "non pressure side" of the fuel system. Thanks for posting all your updates, your progress is amazing.

Thanks, Bill. Yep, these things are not like a 2019 Lexus, with crumple zones, and all those safety features. No matter how well we build them, they are marginally safe, at best.

BTW, I used to have a fire extinguisher screwed to the kick panel of my 27, but people kept stealing it when I parked the car at a restaurant or some other place. I'd like to put one in this car, but I think I will put it in the bed, hidden by the louvered tonneau cover.

I do have a fire extinguisher screwed to the back seat delete in my Mustang, and it does give you some sense of security in case of a fire.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 AM
Please stand by.......

Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
Thanks, Bill. Yep, these things are not like a 2019 Lexus, with crumple zones, and all those safety features. No matter how well we build them, they are marginally safe, at best.

BTW, I used to have a fire extinguisher screwed to the kick panel of my 27, but people kept stealing it when I parked the car at a restaurant or some other place. I'd like to put one in this car, but I think I will put it in the bed, hidden by the louvered tonneau cover.

I do have a fire extinguisher screwed to the back seat delete in my Mustang, and it does give you some sense of security in case of a fire.
It's really sad that people would steal your fire extinguisher. I agree it's good to have one for peace of mind.

I think I want a vinyl drivers area tonneau cover for my RPU. You know, out of sight of out mind.

The car is coming right along, keep up the great work!

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Im gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.