Black wheels ???????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

Anyone else wonder why the trend now is to paint wheels black?
I See Camaro,Mustangs,etc,etc running black wheels.
Can`t see where wheel ends and tire begins from 100 feet away.
I know we use them on ratrods.
What I do not understand is why someone would spend a fortune restoring a muscle car,etc then paint wheels black like they got them from the dump.:D
If I had a high dollar set of wheels I would want chrome.
Maybe I am just too old to get it.[S

To each, his own! If I liked shiny cars and trucks, I mighta left the chrome showing on my rear wheels. Brand new chrome, cleaned and spray canned with flat black.....but to be honest, the people looking at my ride aren't interested in shiny.

When I was in high school, 68-71, black was the only color for wheels. Very few of us could afford custom wheels back then. Black wheels and maybe a set of baby moons. I liked the factory dog dish caps back then, still do. My 56 caddy is rockin black wheels and chrome acorn nuts, no wheel covers. So, I guess I'm ok with black. What they do with new cars really doesn't interest me much one way or another.

It's just a different look as people get tired of the same old chrome. Things change and chrome will come back, just wait and see.

Where's the "to each their own" attitude I loved about this forum?

We just bought a new durango for my wife ( needed a bigger car for the twins) and i wanted the black wheels. There a black chrome, but dark nun the less. I think they give them a bit of an attitude. My cummins has black wheels also and my 50. Hmmm maybe im just a dark person. Lol

When I was in school, first thing to do was take off the stock black steel wheels and put on polished aluminum or chrome wheels. Closest thing I ever had to black wheels were a set of what we called "smoke" mags back then, polished aluminum rim with grayish black spokes with a chrome center cap and lug nuts.
Not a fan of solid black wheels myself, I like at least that polished rim. In all reality, I'm not a fan of painted wheels of any color except maybe white on some vehicles. If it don't shine, I don't want it on mine....:D

What Goes around Comes around [cl

Attachments

• Car 001.jpg
    Car 001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 16
What a rebel! Pay $1,500 on a set of chrome rims and paint them black. I like the blacked out look on everything, but I really like chrome too. Blacking out perfectly good chrome seems foolish. If it's bad chrome, then why not black it out?

It's hard sometimes to think out of the box when talking about cars. I believe many of use get it in our minds what is "correct" based on our own point of reference.

For me low sidewall 40 series tire only belong on Italian Super cars.

50,60 & 70 series tires are for 60&70s muscle cars with Cragar 5-spoke or Ansen Slot mags

those and the 60's Big Daddy Roth type t-bucks & 60 era hot rods.

78 & 75 series tire are for pre 60's cars

and Wide White Walls use ends in 1959.

Ridiculous rules, I know.

Black is one of my colours, but not on wheels. That's my feelings. But don't trust me completely, because my high school car had pink wheels, [salmon pink].

I cannot load that picture.

Black is one of my colours, but not on wheels. That's my feelings. But don't trust me completely, because my high school car had pink wheels, [salmon pink].

I cannot load that picture.

Dont worry, we all made bad choices when we where young haha

I used to blame it on parents that bought their kids Tonka trucks and goofy transformer toys :D but now I think it's just a product of whatever is going on in general in the ever expanding world of cars and aftermarket offerings.
Its chrome or polished aluminum for me pretty much because that was what was cool when I grew up.
There is also intense competition to produce the latest, coolest product or trend (making money while at it too) and custom wheels are one of those things - I guess chrome is just boring for now - but give it time - "what was old is now new again"

Anyone remember the Keystone wheels?
I had forgot about them until now.
Had a set on my chevelle.
Ran aluminum slotted wheels on my camaro.
Found them at a flea market.
That was a long time ago,but we had a lot of fun back then ![cl

Back in 68 or 69 I got my second car but it was my first "shiny" car. There was a dealer in Orlando that had a deal going for wheels. You buy 3 and got the 4th one free....4 new Chrome reverse rims for 75 bucks and the chrome then was much better than the chrome now it seems.

1969....47 years ago....last set of chrome rims and last time in a white tux....Jr/Senior prom....:rolleyes:

1969....47 years ago....last set of chrome rims and last time in a white tux....Jr/Senior prom....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I will say you cleaned up pretty good there Smalls.....;)

nice lookin' ride too.........

Latest posts

Back