Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Alignment specs...use Camaro for subframe, or car it's under?

I need to get the '56 Fairlane front end aligned. It's a '75 Camaro subframe, all new parts. The front end guy asked me so supply the specs I want him to align it to. Do I go with the specs from the Camaro?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I suspect that the Chevy specs would be the place to start, but it will also depend on the installation. Is it perfect, etc. If the alignment guy can only set it to factory spec, he may not be your best bet. It may take a bit of messin' around to get it to work right. Brighter bulbs will respond also, I hope.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Chevy specs may be ok if the wheelbase is similar and rear track width is the same. If not I agree with Skip
Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Take it to somebody else if he needs a computer program to do an alignment!
Got the same problem here. Lots of shops that will do alignments, most with the latest and greatest equipment and not a single soul that could do a thing unless there was a button for it...sorry for the rant!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
Take it to somebody else if he needs a computer program to do an alignment!
Got the same problem here. Lots of shops that will do alignments, most with the latest and greatest equipment and not a single soul that could do a thing unless there was a button for it...sorry for the rant!
Rant on brother
Old 06-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Devil's Advocate

If a "front end guy" is asking YOU for specs, then you need to find another front end guy.

Honestly, the alignment will be a combination of both, and specific to your vehicle as it is constructed. The rack doesn't know it's a Camaro front end under a Ford - it only measures caster, camber and toe-in/out. Pretty simple. If he can't grasp that then he's no better than the kid behind the parts counter asking if your car has air conditioning when you're trying to buy shocks...
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 PM
Rocket Surgeon

If you have a Camaro subframe, why wouldn't you use the Camaro specs?

I'm bewildered and here's what I don't understand...

S10 trucks (for example) could be had in wheelbases from 108" to 122". (14" difference when I went to school.) Front end parts are the same, no matter the wheelbase. Are alignment specs different for the 108"WB than the 122"WB? GVWR? I doubt it, but I've never been in the alignment business...

I'm going to flap my lips some more... 2018 - 1975 = 43 years. How many alignment shops have been in business since 1975? How many have "ancient" specs on hand and a person who knows "old" cars? Precious few in this territory... they've either sold, retired and closed shop... or died.

If I have a point to make... computerized alignment equipment is not likely to come loaded with 40 and 50 year old specs, much less a pallet of books. Those specs are largely irrelevant and just like your local parts store, the "database" is limited to late model stuff where the volume (money) is.

Think about this for a minute... right here and now, a 40 year old alignment guy cut his teeth in the late 90's and has roughly 20 years in the field. For easy figuring, his working education began in 1998. Is he an idiot? Probably not and he might own a shop at this juncture. In all fairness, I'd expect this (fictitious) person to know 1988 forward... ten years previous and everything since...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Builder Junky!

I agree with all of you guys. If your front-end alignment guy doesn't understand that you need a little caster, a little camber, and a little toe-in, he isn't going to do well setting up a hotrod.
I took front-end alignment in school and enjoyed the engineering of it all, but this was many years ago, [I don't think fire was invented yet], so things were simpler back then. The principals are the same, though.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:05 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Just saying...guess I'm just lucky. Shops wouldn't touch the 31. I did the set up myself. Wish my shop aligned vehicles drove as well as the 31...
Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
If you have a Camaro subframe, why wouldn't you use the Camaro specs?

I'm bewildered and here's what I don't understand...

S10 trucks (for example) could be had in wheelbases from 108" to 122". (14" difference when I went to school.) Front end parts are the same, no matter the wheelbase. Are alignment specs different for the 108"WB than the 122"WB? GVWR? I doubt it, but I've never been in the alignment business...

I'm going to flap my lips some more... 2018 - 1975 = 43 years. How many alignment shops have been in business since 1975? How many have "ancient" specs on hand and a person who knows "old" cars? Precious few in this territory... they've either sold, retired and closed shop... or died.

If I have a point to make... computerized alignment equipment is not likely to come loaded with 40 and 50 year old specs, much less a pallet of books. Those specs are largely irrelevant and just like your local parts store, the "database" is limited to late model stuff where the volume (money) is.

Think about this for a minute... right here and now, a 40 year old alignment guy cut his teeth in the late 90's and has roughly 20 years in the field. For easy figuring, his working education began in 1998. Is he an idiot? Probably not and he might own a shop at this juncture. In all fairness, I'd expect this (fictitious) person to know 1988 forward... ten years previous and everything since...

Well said Doc. The reason I said wheelbase and tarck width was because the alignment machine needs to see these things to set up properly I think. At least that is the way it was when I was woking in a dealership. I left in 1992, Before I was at that shop I was at a dealership with an old style manual machine and everything was setup very similar all being datsuns and the nissans. I have heard some makes have negative caster but don't remember working on any.