Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Well I for one am looking forward to whatever that next step is going to be!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM

As am I. Keep updating. Very creative work your doing keep it up!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
He recycles the right way

Anybody have an elegant idea for strong motor mounts? I am struggling with how to mount this heavy pig of a motor. Oh yeah, the steering shaft needs to run right through where the drivers side mount needs to be.

More than likely they will be tied into the currently non-existant inner frame rail truss.

These pics show the general area. I am not 100% set on using the stock jag motor mount pieces. If there is a better way, I will fab something.

I am a little concerned that if I run mounts that extend way inwards toward the motor that it will try and twist the frame.

My 48 chevy flatbed http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604

The Roofus Special http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=roofus

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 05-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Brother Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
I am a little concerned that if I run mounts that extend way inwards toward the motor that it will try and twist the frame.
The distance from the crank to the frame rails will be the same no matter how you set up your mounts - so torque on the frame will be the same no matter where it is mounted to the motor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
The distance from the crank to the frame rails will be the same no matter how you set up your mounts - so torque on the frame will be the same no matter where it is mounted to the motor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your concern?
I was thinking about the weight of the motor pushing straight down on the centerline of the car. I have a fear that the drivers side frame rail will twist counter-clockwise and the passenger side frame rail will twist clockwise. ....and the motor will droop down.

I think a hurst type motor mount might help with getting the load point closer to the frame rail and not induce twist. Anybody else think that?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Can you run a crossmember (or k-member maybe) under the oil pan behind the sump to tie the rails together? ...then it won't be able to twist the rails.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Would it be possible to use a saddle mount at the back of the block and two side mounts in front? Could you post a picture showing the motor in place from standing over it looking down on it. May help us come up with an idea.

Also are you going to box the inside frame rails?

Larry aka Ratcrazy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Brother Rat

I see what your saying. A Hurst style mount would work. In order for it to put twist on the rails, the mount would have to bend. Anything hooked to both rails would need to bend in order to twist the frame from weight. Engine torque is a whole 'nother matter...

In a regular side mount, the mount bushings act like a hinge allowing the frame to possibly twist. If you were to (obviously not a good idea) make a 'hard' side mount it wouldn't be able to twist either, but would be really uncomfortable until it tore itself a part.

That's the way I'm seeing it anyway.

Anyway to fab a mount from the front to that convex cross member? It would be the same idea as the Hurst mount.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM

I found this in my search. Something along the lines of this would be cool.

Something as simple as this could alxo work.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Send a message via MSN to pistolpete

The first example is pretty cool looking. But I can see the other hand of the second option, especially if you plan to run hood and sides. I'm curious to see how this build ends up.