Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[. (It did, however, involve a lot of metal shaping to reform the troughs between the fenders and the deck lid.)[/QUOTE]

** sighs ** my happy place...

I've never done a chop, or a sectioning job, so I'm just thinking out loud here. I did read an article once where a guy followed those basic cuts as far back as the rear quarter, then took that part out above the fender, like you said, Torchie. I think that would put the front fender about level with the rear fender. (It did, however, involve a lot of metal shaping to reform the troughs between the fenders and the deck lid.)

Thanks for your thoughts Neto.
There are many ways to section a car. I helped a guy do a Model A once where we just cut straight thru the body all the way around. Worked on a Ford shoe box with a guy and none of the cuts were on the same plane.
If you look at the picture I am posting it will show that the natural flow from the headlight end of the front fender to the back of the rear fender is a downward slope. I want to retain that.
The front fender will most likely get cut starting down lower where it is flat. Then straight up to above the wheel well.
Across the wheel well then straight down to under the headlight opening, then across to the grill opening.
Maybe this weekend if I up to it after my surgery I will go out with some tape and start to lay it out.
Torchie

Attachments

• Torchie quarter chop RH.jpg
    Torchie quarter chop RH.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 32
If you look at the picture I am posting it will show that the natural flow from the headlight end of the front fender to the back of the rear fender is a downward slope. I want to retain that.
Torchie

Yep, I see that now that you point it out. Doing what I was talking about would not follow the line that extends from the front fender across the front section of the door. (I wasn't sure I had the nerve to say anything, but I learned something new here, so I guess it was worth it.)

Yep, I see that now that you point it out. Doing what I was talking about would not follow the line that extends from the front fender across the front section of the door. (I wasn't sure I had the nerve to say anything, but I learned something new here, so I guess it was worth it.)

Never be nervous about asking a question or posting a thought on this site Neto. That's how all of us learn.:cool:
Have to be at the hospital at 6;30 am. I'm first in line which is fine by me. Less chance of a delay.
Went out a laid down some tape to give an idea of the possible route(For the sheet metal at least) on a section.
Wide horizontal tape denotes where metal would be removed. Narrow vertical tape denotes a single straight cut to make a connection.
The good thing about these era cars is the side are fairly flat.
The cut into the rear quarter is higher then the door cut due to the location of interior factory bracing.
The front fender cut allows for the retention of the factory wheel well opening shape as well as avoiding the head light hole.
The rear fender would be much the same.
I will look at making the cowl cut in a place that will be below the lower door hinge. Same on the door, resolving the issue of alignment when rehanging the door. Some times that is not always possible so we will see.
Thanks to all for the interest shown in this project.
It helps to keep the juices flowing.
keep on keeping on....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 28
Torchie,

Best wishes on all going well. If you're down a few days could you have someone keep us informed? I accidentally lost your address and I'd appreciate getting it again.

The projects will wait 'til you're strong enough to get back at them.

All went well Gang!
Even though I was first in line I still got bumped by an emergency but the wait was fine.
So now I have to have total rest for 2 days followed by 2 weeks of no lifting my left hand over shoulder height (which is fine for now as the front of my left shoulder/chest area feels like it did when I got hit by a line drive playing base ball.:eek: ).
Followed by 4 more weeks of light activity. I also received a call from my cardiologists office on the way home saying that he wants another Echo cardiogram with contrast this time so I will have to call him tomorrow and see what that's about.
Looks like nothing but follow up visits as well as haunting m favorite car site for a while.
Thanks for all the support.
keep on keeping on...
Torchie

Glad the new parts installation went well, my friend.

NOTE: There are lots of light duty things a fella can do while keeping his arm below his shoulder. On the car. On the car! :D [ddd That's what I meant. Really... If nothing else, you can go out and stare at it for ideas.

Take care. We don't want to wait for the next expression of your magic, but I think we can.

There's a lesson to be learned here, Torchie, about patience. ------- And I'm going to have to learn it. I've been watching your vision and handiwork for years, avidly, so now I'm going into a pout.
Get well soon Torchie.

Latest posts

Back