Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Shop/Garage/Tool talk!

Shop/Garage/Tool talk! Discussion, Q&A about all things shop, garage & tool. Show us what ya got!!!

Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Does your DR have a cut chart showing the amps, air pressure, volts and travel speed for thickness of metal?
If it does, follow them and you'll get smooth dross free cuts.
You're gonna love a plasma when ya get used to it.
So much that you might as well get one of the baby shoulder strap carrying things and take it with you when you leave the house
Put a car seat in your hotrod to protect it
Move over dog there's a new dog in town. Sorry got carried away
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM

It cuts 1/2 inch steel! Wow, I'd be happy if it'd do 1/4. I got to check into this. I found one at Scott Gross for $450, cuts up to a 1/4, and I thought that was a good deal. I'd save that much in no time not having to buy cutting wheels. What about tips that was mentioned, are they easy to get? Any other items on it that you have to replace? I've seen them used but never owned or used one, so just wondering if parts exchange between machines.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Anyone got a link on this? Done a search and found everyone but the DR. Didn't try ebay, I'll try that.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 PM

Found them, seen 1 for $295, free shipping and 35 consumibles with it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Here's a link on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+plasma+cutter

The consumables are readily available on Amazon too. It appears as Dutch mentioned that these machines are a standard CUT-50 machine and I think the consumables on most of those are the same.
I haven't had any time to play with it yet, but it seems to have the zip to get thru most anything I'm likely to cut. I'm good with that as long as it works when I go to use it in a project. Like I said before, if it's reliable over time, the chance I took on a lesser machine might well be worth it.

old Iron, it has a chart but not very detailed. I have seen one of those while studying the info on these things...I'll have to find it and copy it down somewhere until I get used to what it can do. I can see it'll take a little practice to know what kind of air pressure and amps it takes to do different tasks.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 AM

I'm going to have 1, and I'm also going to set my bead roller up with a motor so I can use it,. I got to many projects going, my K1o I need to finish soobn, it's my daily.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
Thanks for the heads up...they're on the way!
Me too, thanks Old Iron.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The only thing I will suggest is to be diligent about changing the filter cartridge every week. If you don't it'll corrode the powder coating off the inside of the canister, I didn't and paid the consequences
Moisture will cut a groove in the side of a cutting tip instantly and the kerf will be all kinds of funky.
Oh ya, you can buy a case of filters on dabay cheaper than anywhere if, you don't want to reuse the cartridges.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Are you talking about the add on filter that was installed, or does the machine have one too?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm just talking about the add on MotorGaurd M60
It's a paper cartridge filter and will cause corrosion on the inside of the housing, if left for an extended period of time damp, that's why you change the paper cartridge weekly.
Plasma machines have an external or internal water separator/regulator combo. If you don't have the MotorGaurd or similar filter, then you need to pay attention to it ever so often.