Need some advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Hey guys I'm in need of some advice. My plan was to install a throttle body self learning injection system on the 440. I'm finding some pretty bad reviews and talked to a guy from the city that works a shop that has installed 5 systems. Three Holley sniper and 2 Fitech, he says they have removed all but 1 due to running too rich or not running at all. My other option is to go with a new Edelbrock carb as I am familiar with them and solved all my problems on the Essex? What do ya think and or have experience with?

I'm old school, so I'd go with a carb. It's what I know. EFI is nice, I know the basics of the system, but it frustrates me to have things I can see like control boxes and not know whats going on in them. A lot of people are comfortable with efi, I am too if it works right, but I don't have patience for anything not working right....

I have a Fitech 600 and I can tell ya DON"T buy it.
Never got the thing to be consistent, wore two of the four direction arrows off it trying. It left me stranded in Dewey Ok. at the Stray Katz show. Found out ya can't buy the failed injectors anywhere over the counter, had to stay in the motel over the weekend waiting on delivery. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
If I didn't like you I'd sell it to ya for half price then go hide somewhere you couldn't find me.
Can't comment on the Holley but, have heard some of the same horror stories.

I`d bump compression and run a six pack... :D

j/k... I seen a lot of guys run efi systems on 440`s with good results ,but those were all high compression engines.
I`m an old school carb guy too, so I would run a carb. I don`t believe in throwing a carb out of a box onto the engine and it runs great... Never happened to me anyway. My choice would be a Holley.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Bama, I'm pretty old school as well and not very computer savvy and that's what scares me.

Old Iron, that is scary stuff, and kinda what i have been hearing and reading. Thanks for the offer but i think i will let you hang on to the system LOL

Dutch, I love the look of the six pack carb set up, but they come with there own set of issues. If this was just going to be a cruiser I would even consider it, but our plan for the car is about a 12000. Km trip to start retirement so reliably is the most important goal.

I have a huge hangup with anything that can't be fixed "on the road" with commonly available parts. Computers are great when they work. Electronics are great when they work. Both can leave you stranded in Mankota, or some other dirty place. :eek:

Give me a carburetor, a spare fuel pump, an ignition module and a few tools, I'll light out for destination anywhere. Should the pump or module fail, replacement spares are available at the next auto parts store. :)

Old Iron's story is exactly what I wish to avoid. (There's nothing worse than the feeling of helplessness.)

"Control Your Own Destiny"

On another somewhat related subject... do you still have a collection of Q-jet parts? Or was that somebody else I know? [S

I keep my stuff simple and haven't run a Holly since I ran my first edelbrock. But that's just me I guess. Right out of the box, onto the manifold, I've not had one fail to start and run a Chevrolet. Don't know about them off brand cars and trucks! :D

Personally, I like the Summit Racing brand carbs. They are a copy of the old Motorcraft Ford Holley, all aluminum, and no gaskets below the fuel level so they don’t leak like a Holley will. They take Holley jets and stuff, so parts are easy to find. I have one on the 460 in my motor home and one on my 302 in the Lincoln. Both worked great right out of the box.

I keep my stuff simple and haven't run a Holly since I ran my first edelbrock. But that's just me I guess. Right out of the box, onto the manifold, I've not had one fail to start and run a Chevrolet. Don't know about them off brand cars and trucks! :D

Yup Edelbrock 1906 is the one they recommend.

Personally, I like the Summit Racing brand carbs. They are a copy of the old Motorcraft Ford Holley, all aluminum, and no gaskets below the fuel level so they don’t leak like a Holley will. They take Holley jets and stuff, so parts are easy to find. I have one on the 460 in my motor home and one on my 302 in the Lincoln. Both worked great right out of the box.

No Ford carb going on this Dodge. :D:D

I think you've made a wise choice.
Retirement cruise [cl:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks OI, looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back