1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seriously? only 3 months? Feels like you been of this at least 6 months.

Glad you're back!

Separation anxiety

Broke out the skyhook and took the body off for the last time to start the final bodywork. Lift it up, slide the chassis over and set the body down on the dolly. Off to the parts store for some bondo....
I'll need to come up with another method to get the body back on - wrapping a rope around the roof posts aint gonna work once its painted.. [S

Attachments

• DSC00574.jpg
    DSC00574.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00575.jpg
    DSC00575.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00572.jpg
    DSC00572.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00577.jpg
    DSC00577.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00579.jpg
    DSC00579.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 70
Maybe run down to the bank and get some velvet rope? :D What color of black are you going to paint it? [ddd
Good to see ya back on this...ZZ back at it is one of the "Signs of Spring" that I look for. [cl [P[P

make a cable sling that goes inside to the seat belt mount bolts...slide the boom inside the door opening and pick it up that way...[P

Yes Time to Finsh This Project

For the lift i've used well padded 2 x 4's through the side windows front and back, balances pretty well. [S food for thought[P
I'm with snakefarm, can't wait to see it all together [cl

Maybe run down to the bank and get some velvet rope? :D What color of black are you going to paint it? [ddd
[cl [P[P

Ummm, BLACK black I think..

make a cable sling that goes inside to the seat belt mount bolts...slide the boom inside the door opening and pick it up that way...[P

Good idea [cl I think I'll try it before its painted...

For the lift i've used well padded 2 x 4's through the side windows front and back, balances pretty well. [S food for thought[P
I'm with snakefarm, can't wait to see it all together [cl

I thought about that, but the rear quarter windows slope down so much, the 2x4 might slide forward
In the past, I've jacked bodies up on 4x4's underneath the body but it gets kinda shaky once it's up high enuff to roll the chassis under plus it gets tough to slip them out as the body gets down close to landing

Some pics of using the cherry picker on one of my roadster projects - easy enough when there's no roof to get in the way

Attachments

• 2004 apr 18 005.jpg
    2004 apr 18 005.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2004 apr 18 008.jpg
    2004 apr 18 008.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 96
I guess I must have been talking in my sleep and promised my wife I'd paint the inside of the house [S:(. So after a couple weeks getting that done, now I can get back onto the Packard.
I did a test lift of the body using a sling inside with the cherry picker like jfg455 suggested. Thanks for the tip ! With a little balancing with some weights, it works fine - now to get back onto the body work.

Attachments

• DSC00582.jpg
    DSC00582.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00584.jpg
    DSC00584.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00583.jpg
    DSC00583.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00581.jpg
    DSC00581.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 80
Life getting in the way ZZ?

Maybe she stuck more things on the honey-do list?

Little bit of both...
I'm plugging away on the body work but having a tough time putting in enough hours to get past the bondo stage of the main body, not really picture worthy, what with all the dust.... Hope to get the doors and trunk fitted in the next week or so and get the first shot of primer/surfacer on, then block, prime, block, prime, etc. 'till its ready for the black.

After a month of body work, I got the first shot of primer/surfacer on the body, doors trunk lid and rear fenders. A little crowded when spraying and I made the mistake of waiting till 10 AM to start. 90+ degree heat and med. temp reducer makes for tough going and a lot of sweat..... but I still got a couple decent coats on. Now for some spot filling and a ton of block sanding.

Attachments

• DSC00585.jpg
    DSC00585.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00588.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 64
Got up at 4AM today and splashed on the color at last. Maybe the first time I've painted a body without runs! Some wicked orange peel, but that's par for the course, some color sanding and polishing to do in a couple days after it hardens. Painted the doors and rear fenders, trunk lid yesterday - of course I got some runs in the fenders :(

Attachments

• DSC00596.jpg
    DSC00596.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00598.jpg
    DSC00598.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00600.jpg
    DSC00600.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 73
Got up at 4AM today and splashed on the color at last. Maybe the first time I've painted a body without runs! Some wicked orange peel, but that's par for the course, some color sanding and polishing to do in a couple days after it hardens. Painted the doors and rear fenders, trunk lid yesterday - of course I got some runs in the fenders :(

Nobody likes a case of the runs. :p

Seriously though, that's going to look killer once it's all colour sanded and assembled [dr

Latest posts

Back