1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Torchie, looks like you're up to your elbows in the transmission.
If you were closer I'd come give you a hand. Stay after it but take it easy

Hey Torchie, looks like you're up to your elbows in the transmission.
If you were closer I'd come give you a hand. Stay after it but take it easy

Keep at it Torchie! You're an inspiration...

x2, no doubt. :)

...........X3!

Thanks gang.:) Just working at keeping on.....
Going to be interesting to see how my back feels in the morning.[ddd
The trans adapter from speedway is due here tomorrow and hopefully the trans book and parts from Van Pelts as well.
Don't expect that I will get much done Thursday as I have a couple of Drs appointments. But it should be clear sailing on Friday. Should be able to pick up the gasket kit and the water pump on Friday as well.
Torchie

Keep on tinkering, Torchie. I hope that gear-swap works out.

Shouldn't be a problem Mac as long as the cluster in the side shift case is good.
The case on the 48-50 F-1 3 spd trans is just like the 39 Ford floor shift case.
When I called Van Pelts and talked to Mac (Your doppelganger) about it he laughed because I am basically doing the opposite of what most hot rodders would do. Instead of converting to an open drive I am converting to a torque tube set up.
I have no problems with the 3 on the tree and from a period custom standpoint that is actually more legit. But now a days it ain't a Hot rod, Rat rod, Custom,..... if it doesn't have a floor shift.[S
This give me a little more space around and under the steering wheel as well as allowing me to shorten the steering shaft if need be. With the 3 on the tree there was clearance issues with my fake leg when I dropped it into 3rd gear.
Torchie

You did some homework to find out if the swap was do-able, first. I usually fly into these unique projects just on the power of my dreams and sometimes the whole thing goes sideways. So, you're a way ahead of me and I worried for nothing. Right on. Keep on tinkering.

You could just notch your leg...[cl

Problem with that is it hits what's left of the real one.:eek: :)
Picking up where we left off....
Pics 1-2. Removed the front bearing retainer.

Pics 3-4.To get the counter gear shaft out you need to get behind the throw out bearing fork and pivot shaft. So that has to come out. The fork is pinned thru the shaft and per Old Henry the pin is peened over. They are a PITA to get out.

Pics 5-7 Once the shaft and fork are out of the way you have to pull the counter shaft locking pin out and then drive the counter shaft out from the front.

Pics 8-9. With the counter shaft out the gears drop into the case and you can start to remove the main shaft and the gears. At this point I need to remove a lock ring and then the Syncro gear can be removed and the back half of the main shaft can be removed. You can see the front half of the main shaft setting on the bench in front of the case.
Well that's it for tonight. Thanks for looking in on me.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 19
Trans swap continued...

More shop time today.
Pics 1-2. Got the sycro off the main cluster. Remove the reat bearing clip and pulled out the main gears and shaft.

Pics 3-5. Pushed thru the shaft holding the idler gears and pulled them. Then removed the counter gear set as well. Now we have a empty case.[cl

Pics 6-10. Into the tub for some decruding.:eek: Before and after pics as well as in paint.:D
Will start to take apart the side shift trans tomorrow if I feel up to it.
Thanks for coming by and have a safe weekend......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 11
More shop time today...

My biggest concern in doing this trans case swap was what kind of condition the gear sets would be in. Specially the 48 side shift as it is how old now and that is the gear set that I need to use.
Pic 1. Drained the case and am hopeful as unlike the F-1 case no metal came out.:D
Pics 2-3. Pulled of the U-joint. The torque tube setups us a bolted on u-joint instead of a more modern style slip yolk.

Pic 4. YES INDEED!!!!:D [cl Pulled the side cover and the gears are in excellent shape. Amazing considering that most trans of this age usually looks like they have been rode hard and put to bed wet.:eek:
Pics 5-6. Removed the rear bearing retainer that aslo doubles as the rear trans mount. We will need this for the swap.
Pics7-8. Gear set out and ready for cleaning. Another empty case.:)
Plan for tomorrow is to clean it all up and put the gear set into the new case.
Thanks for checking in on me......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
What a stroke of luck. The gears look to be in amazing shape all things considered. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
Looking good. Stay after it.

You are in luck with those gears. I ran a 54 AD truck for years and kept the torque tube set-up for a while but when it developed a "popping out of 3rd gear" problem I went to finding used gear boxes in salvage yards to replace it with. Pulled 3 different trannys in one weekend and never did find any better gears. Wound up going to open drive shaft and changed rearend and tranny to newer stuff. Hope all this work comes out good for you Torchie![cl

My back is killing me this morning but as soon as the parts store opens I'm off to town to pick up a few odds and ends to get this trans back together.
More to follow.......hopefully.;)
Torchie

Latest posts

Back