Project Wrecking Ball (1952 Willys Pickup)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitMan81

Hey there, here is my rat rod project, a 52 Willys pickup. This was my grandfather's hunting truck back in the day. It's been sitting in our woods for something like 30 years. Overall it is a pretty solid truck, rockers are pretty much done for and the floors are rough but I plan on channeling it anyways.

My overall plan is to use the original frame from the back of the cab forward with a Z in front of the firewall. Also plan on bagging it on all four corners, possibly using the stock 4wd front axle, without the internals, stuck out in front of the grille. I would like to do some sort of diesel engine, probably a Detroit 6.2 or 6.5.

Make sure you wear your PPE when cleaning out mouse nests! haha

Mouse motel!

All clean! Also, notice the fiberglass floor patches.

Just an idea for the wheelbase.

Looks like a good start and the family history is cool too!
Welcome to RRR! Where are ya from?*

I have a 2wd frame from a jeepster that I won't be using. I would let it go reasonable if your interested. It may work better then your 4x4 frame? Heck I may even do some trading for the 4x4 stuff out of yours!

Looks like a good start and the family history is cool too!
Welcome to RRR! Where are ya from?*

I have a 2wd frame from a jeepster that I won't be using. I would let it go reasonable if your interested. It may work better then your 4x4 frame? Heck I may even do some trading for the 4x4 stuff out of yours!

Thanks! I'm from central MN. I think I've figured out how to make the 4wd frame work to my advantage. If I wasn't going to stick the front axle way out front I would use Jeepster suspension.

Thanks! I'm from central MN. I think I've figured out how to make the 4wd frame work to my advantage. If I wasn't going to stick the front axle way out front I would use Jeepster suspension.

Ok so what ya gonna do with the transfer case out of it? :D

Great truck....If you ever watch that show, Mountain Men, there is an old guy driving one of those around.......That's what I would be doing with that truck, bet your grandfather would appreciate it.

Can't wait to see what you do with yours. Mines a 51 and been an ongoing project for the last 3 years. I got mine for my 14th birthday :)

I have been messing around with some of my ideas in Google SketchUp.

This idea uses the stock front axle but could almost as easily use an I-beam or tube style straight axle.

They aren't drawn in but the bags will be along side the frame and radius rods. Watts link going to the radius rods underneath the frame towards the front.

cool another Willys fan

Hi glad ya found the site,kinda wondering if all those old Willys were all green !:D:D here's a couple of mine and another of one I saw last spring.
Have fun with the Willys [cl[cl[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 100_1359.jpg
    100_1359.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Mississippi Mayhem 2014 064.jpg
    Mississippi Mayhem 2014 064.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
Made a lot of progress this weekend! With the help of a buddy and my dad got the cab off, box off, and engine and transmission out.

Got the cowl vent to function properly.

Cab off!

Engine out.

Probable wheelbase

What's the bar across the top of the cab? Is that some sort of handle for riding in the back and standing up or something?

Latest posts

Back