help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

I have a 37 slantback with 88,, 302 out of mustang GT..what can I use for pulleys and belts? want to run 1 v belt on crank,,water pump,alt,,made a few junkyard runs,but came up short..3bolt cranks or some thing that did not look right,, any help would be great guys,,[S thanks Vince

Alan Grove brackets are nice. Helped me with a power steering bracket on the AD-kota project.

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm going through the same thing. I have a 302 from an '84 Lincoln Town car that originally had serpentine belts, but everything's missing. I didn't know about the reverse-direction water pump. :eek:

Well, whatever you get, get it ALL from the same donor vehicle. It's a nightmare trying to piece a system together on a Ford.
i didnt know that.
but luckily i took everything and i mean everything off that van.
i didnt know what i would need,;)

How did it end up with the belt in the back pulley groove on the alt. and the front one on the fan? Seems odd for a stock set up.
I kinda had to do that on my 260 but I made my own alternator mount to run the 3G. I only have a single groove on the fan and run in the outside of a 2 groove alternator pulley.

I'm not 100% sure but I think on the earlier engine with the vee belts the timing chain cover that the water pump bolts to is different from the later one that has the serpentine set up. Also I think that the harmonic ballancers may be ballanced differently because the engines are ballanced with different flywheels and also have different firing orders.

Well, whatever you get, get it ALL from the same donor vehicle. It's a nightmare trying to piece a system together on a Ford.

So true! Three bolt balancer on 28 oz balance engines, 4 bolt balancer on 50 oz balance, and there may even be exceptions to that. Water pump pulleys are different according to application, last 302 I did I used a 200 I6 waterpump pulley spaced out 1/4" just to get things to line up. Early and late waterpump pulleys don't always interchange either, the early ones are larger and will hit the crank pulley on late engines.

And not all serpentine systems use a reverse rotation water pump. Some used a standard rotation, with the serpentine belt driving the water pump and alternator, and another serpentine belt driving the power steering and AC. And some were a hybrid system, with a V belt on PS and AC, serpentine on waterpump and alternator.

Confusing for sure! :eek:

If your engine is indeed a 88, unless it was changed it will have a reverse rotation water pump. Some say you can simply change to a standard pump, some say you will have to change timing covers. I had an 85 302 from a Tbird, it had a standard water pump, but no place for a dipstick or fuel pump on the timing cover. So, I'm not sure even that is a way to tell a newer rwp timing cover from an old standard wp one.

So, we're back to Willobilly's advice, get everything from the same donor! All the way down to the timing cover. You will be able to keep more hair that way! [ddd

Latest posts

Back