50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
progress pics, lower hinge mockup

Second set seemingly is going easier than the top, go figure, 2nd set is always easier right? [cl

(Upper mount is just tack welded in until both mounts are setup, then they will get fully welded in)

Attachments

• DSC03848.jpg
    DSC03848.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC03849.jpg
    DSC03849.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03850.jpg
    DSC03850.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03847.jpg
    DSC03847.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC03851.jpg
    DSC03851.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03852.jpg
    DSC03852.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC03853.jpg
    DSC03853.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 107
You've got it down to a science!!

Second set seemingly is going easier than the top, go figure, 2nd set is always easier right? [cl

(Upper mount is just tack welded in until both mounts are setup, then they will get fully welded in)

Like production work...do it over and over...gets easier! LOL

great look'n project. I like the hinge set up. I have a 49 f-1 I'm building, cab is sitting on an s-10 frame, gonna start a build thread soon as we find the camera. I'll be watching ur build.[P

great look'n project. I like the hinge set up. I have a 49 f-1 I'm building, cab is sitting on an s-10 frame, gonna start a build thread soon as we find the camera. I'll be watching ur build.[P

Sounds like we will probably be watching each other's builds!

On a side note I am starting to lose interest in the Hemi build, mainly because of the long term build and cost. Unless someone talks me into keeping it, I will probably post it here and on craigslist. I been looking at just using the 318 until I find something really unique...:confused::confused: Selling the Hemi = cash money for frame and other items that are needed to progress...

Thoughts?

Small update, lower cab hinge mount is in, but I forgot to get more flat head cap screws so I could bolt on the hinge to work on the door mount. That's tomorrow night's project.

I'll take pics tomorrow =)

PS, someone buy my hemi ;P Make me an offer =)

Finished up the door mount for the lower hinge, going to tig it up tomorrow after work.

I did notice that the lower cab is really flimsy without any metal at the bottom ;P Probably going to have to strengthen the cab corners up for rigidity...

I'll try to get pics tomorrow when the mount is in and do some testing of the door hinges.

Hinges functional, still have some metal finishing work to do.

I finished up the lower door hinge mount, and final welded all the spot welds for the mounts tonight, and voila, a door that opens and closes. Little to no sag, and the body lines line up, probably have to adjust the upper mount a little to get the door gap perfectly straight, but its not too shabby. Lower cab corners are WEAK! need to also strengthen those for some structural rigidity for the hinges...

Last pic is of the hood ornament I plan on running, it was on my late grandfather's truck for years, it will live to drive again on the rat.

Attachments

• DSC03854.jpg
    DSC03854.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC03855.jpg
    DSC03855.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03856.jpg
    DSC03856.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC03857.jpg
    DSC03857.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03860.jpg
    DSC03860.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC03861.jpg
    DSC03861.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC03859.jpg
    DSC03859.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC03858.jpg
    DSC03858.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC03862.jpg
    DSC03862.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC03863.jpg
    DSC03863.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Started planning the mounts for the bear claw latches, have some good ideas in mind, going to find some steel tomorrow to fab up the mounts so I can weld them into the door.

One issue I see is that the door frame and the door jam have less clearance necessary than is available, so I will be pocketing the door to house the latch.

Also, worked on the other door for a while getting the hinges off, and cleaning out all the mud and paper wasp nests... fun! Had some issues getting the window crank handle off, the casting actually broke away and stayed in the handle, even with the pin out, was very odd... no corrosion or anything... meh...

Latch Mock-up pics

Tonight I did some planning, and started fabricating the pocket for the latch assembly in the door, but I decided that what I made will be just a template as it ended up getting cut up more than I like.

I also took a pic for the rest of you building the F1 rats, so you can see the inner door structure where you would mount latch assemblies for suicide doors.

Slow progress, but I plan on getting much more done tomorrow and this weekend.

Attachments

• DSC03864.jpg
    DSC03864.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC03865.jpg
    DSC03865.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 58
don't see the issue about cutting too much??

Tonight I did some planning, and started fabricating the pocket for the latch assembly in the door, but I decided that what I made will be just a template as it ended up getting cut up more than I like.

I also took a pic for the rest of you building the F1 rats, so you can see the inner door structure where you would mount latch assemblies for suicide doors.

Slow progress, but I plan on getting much more done tomorrow and this weekend.

Is that pocket bigger than it looks? Maybe it's just the shot...looks pretty good to me....

Its setup for using 2" wide C-channel, about 4 3/4" tall to fit the speedweay bear claws.

And thanks! Hoping to get one mount made tonight, tacked in and also the striker pin tacked in for testing. This location pus the pin closer to the inside edge of the A pillar, which is good because it will be easier to reinforce that area if necessary.

Made some progress on the latch

I'm pretty happy with the work I got done tonight, however I have almost no adjustment on the striker pin side, so I may move that further inboard by cutting out the A pillar further.

Anyhow, the speedway bearclaws have a REALLY light effort, and I will be putting a heavy spring on the latch arm in the opposite direction.

The door swings freely, but I do have to rebuild the door bottoms and get the doors a little flatter, as they warped slightly from welding in the hinge mounts.

Attachments

• DSC03866.jpg
    DSC03866.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC03867.jpg
    DSC03867.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC03868.jpg
    DSC03868.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC03869.jpg
    DSC03869.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 101
External hinges on the doors. You're a wildman DR
402471-1.gif

Somehow it reminds me of the old refridgerator we had when i was a kid :)

It's funny you say that, because I was actually looking for vintage ice box hinges for a while, but I couldnt find anything that people didnt think were made of gold with the prices they were asking...

Settled on the cheap and effective jeep tailgate hinges..[cl[cl

sooo how are you going to hold the garden gate on now that you stole the hinges? JK. I like the outside the proverbial box thinking with the hinges. Nice job on them. [P

Really cool idea DR! I love the outside hinges as well! Nice looking fab work on getting the bearclaws in the doors.....the whole thing is looking good.

one side done, mostly

Still have a lot of metal finish work, and have to repair the door bottom, but all functional on the driver's side. Might add a coverplate over the latch assy too.

Somehow sure looks rough on the welds, but they are better in most of the other areas...

Thats why they make grinders right? ;PPPP

Attachments

• DSC03871.jpg
    DSC03871.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03872.jpg
    DSC03872.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC03873.jpg
    DSC03873.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts