Shipping woes with my project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I took three weeks vacation and drove a truck during potato harvest for money to help build my '56 Fairlane. I ordered a bunch of parts and waited patiently for their arrival. One of these parts was a windshield. It showed up Tuesday. The cardboard carton was framed by a wooden skeleton, but the wood was broken and damaged to the point I thought the FedEx Freight driver had just thrown it out of his truck. After some tense moments and a few phone calls, I opened the carton to find the glass was intact. Wow, was I surprised!

Today, the front end rebuild kit arrives, sort of. The package had been ripped open and most of the parts didn't make it. So now I need to deal with the USPS, the ebay seller, and hope I can get my remaining parts without a huge hassle.

I've attached some pics for your amusement.

Attachments

• IMG_20151013_141448_158.jpg
    IMG_20151013_141448_158.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20151013_141453_838.jpg
    IMG_20151013_141453_838.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20151013_141522_700.jpg
    IMG_20151013_141522_700.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20151015_163858_389.jpg
    IMG_20151015_163858_389.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20151015_163908_506.jpg
    IMG_20151015_163908_506.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 156
Got to love people who dont give a crap about there job, or other peoples stuff. Its crazy

I ordered a steering arm for my project and the USPS box came opened with nothing inside.
the seller said ti was not the first and thought someone was stealing out of the mailboxes.
The postal inspector said if the package was opened and empty the postman would have reported it.
I told him AND the postal inspector that i was home when the package arrived and it was delivered opened and empty

i wonder if it;s some NSA or TSA hacks opening packages lookign for bombs and just throwing **** away. there is some cover up involved here because it's happening between the sender and the reciever somewhere in the system.

i wonder if it;s some NSA or TSA hacks opening packages lookign for bombs and just throwing **** away. there is some cover up involved here because it's happening between the sender and the reciever somewhere in the system.

I don't think it's a cover up, just nobody wanting to take responsibility for something that is their responsibility. It's all about the almighty dollar.

Last two times I ordered something that got delivered by Brown the box came torn up...luckily it was nothing that could have been hurt but the guy didn't even apologize... obviously it was NO big deal to him. In Houston people's video cameras catch guys just throwing people's stuff over the fence couple timnes a month during Christmas season. And they used to be really good about delivering your stuff in good condition. Not sure Fed-ex or USPS is any better either!

BoB

I bought a fuel sender unit off ebay for 60 falcon a couple years ago.
Box was good but float was never welded to tube.(made in china)
Contacted the seller who said it was drop shipped and call them.
They said it was not there fault,get refund from ebay seller.
ebay seller would not answer any more messages and with no phone number to call I had it welded and fixed locally.
Told ebay about him,but they did nothing.:mad:

It really makes you wonder what they do with car parts when they fall out of the box. Good thing it wasn't some hard to find emblem or something. I would be seriously P.O.ed.....

I bought a fuel sender unit off ebay for 60 falcon a couple years ago.
Box was good but float was never welded to tube.(made in china)
Contacted the seller who said it was drop shipped and call them.
They said it was not there fault,get refund from ebay seller.
ebay seller would not answer any more messages and with no phone number to call I had it welded and fixed locally.
Told ebay about him,but they did nothing.:mad:

If you pay with paypal you can get the payment reversed if the item isn't as advertised or you never receive it. For future reference. I always pay with paypal, it's very good if you're a buyer (not so great as a seller...)

If you pay with paypal you can get the payment reversed if the item isn't as advertised or you never receive it. For future reference. I always pay with paypal, it's very good if you're a buyer (not so great as a seller...)
I do the same thing, pay with PayPal on everything.

I quit shipping UPS years ago due to their ability to wreck and lose stuff. But coming from the other end you don't have much control. But a vendor using USPS free boxes to ship UPS is kinda suspect of a small time hack seller. He should have had the stuff packed a lot better. Broken is one thing but a box that get's that tore up is partly on the shipper for not boxing it better.

I quit shipping UPS years ago due to their ability to wreck and lose stuff. But coming from the other end you don't have much control. But a vendor using USPS free boxes to ship UPS is kinda suspect of a small time hack seller. He should have had the stuff packed a lot better. Broken is one thing but a box that get's that tore up is partly on the shipper for not boxing it better.

I went to pick up a package at a Canadian shipping companies' depot. They brought the box out and it has visibly been crushed. The person at the counter wanted me to sign for it and I tried to refuse until I could confirm it was in good order. She told me that's not what I'm signing in agreement to (wrong).

Anyways, I got lucky that time, but these shipping companies dodge responsibility like it's an Olympic event.

There's a reason I've started calling UPS "Oops". I don't ship with them when possible, they're terrible.

Once I shipped NOS trim for a longbed Ford in a PVC tube with the ends clued on, like plimbing. It was also in there tight with bubble wrap. The customer got a beat to heck tube with one end off and nothing in it. Another time I shipped a 34 Ford bumper that didn't even show up at the first transfer. I quit using UPS altogether after that. Never had a problem with USPS or fedex

I explain this stuff every time this comes up. If it's in a box, pack it like it's gonna get loaded with a bulldozer. If it's not boxed, expect it to get about a 1/2 ton of metal dumped on top of it. If possible, write the delivery address on the item with marker or at least tape the address on the items inside the box.

Good chance that ripped open box was ripped open by a semi trailer loader looking for particular stuff to steal. It happens a lot at the big city reload centers - low pay workers from the hood know what boxes to target for good stuff to pilfer. Even if they didn't steal it, it wound up on the trailer floor with 20-30 more ripped open boxes - the big mess gets found a few days later at the next terminal, but by then the guy has quit and been replaced with another hood rat doing the same thing.

It's amazing how much tempered auto glass will take. Oddly, tempered patio table glass didn't seem to hold up as well. Maybe it is the curves.

Latest posts

Back