Basket case 27 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress is a good thing [cl:cool:[P[P[P
Been killin me. All over this site all day long. Research everything I could do or want to but still not able to really do much. But dang! Today was in the 80’s my boy wanted to work on the car today and well to be honest any excuse would do.

Tomorrow is knee surgery day to fix that part.... I’ve been sittin in a lawn chair for the last 4 hrs proud of what we got done today and can’t wait to do more!!
Progress is good fo the soul for sure......

So thought of the day. Go topless???
The better half already saying it’s to low.
Like Ive said it’s my first rat and now I’m thinking I may ha e got carried away.
What y’all think?

My 2 cent's.
I have only seen a few with the tops cut off that I like. To me the wind shields never look right.I would do it that way If I found one that the top was junk on. and could lay my hands ( Or Make ) on a Duval style wind shield frame
It's surprising how a few inches here and there make a huge difference. These cars were never big to begin with.
Let the knee heal and then get back to it.
JMHO.
Torchie

My 2 cent's.
I have only seen a few with the tops cut off that I like. To me the wind shields never look right.I would do it that way If I found one that the top was junk on. and could lay my hands ( Or Make ) on a Duval style wind shield frame
It's surprising how a few inches here and there make a huge difference. These cars were never big to begin with.
Let the knee heal and then get back to it.
JMHO.
Torchie
Thanks for the reply Torchie

It's a coupe. Keep the roof. (Very few builders have pulled off a pleasing "coupester".)

I suggest you raise your windshield header to match the side windows...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• coupe chop - Copy.jpg
    coupe chop - Copy.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 81
  • coupe chop.jpg
    coupe chop.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 80
What I have found to be an easy fix for the windshield header on '26-27 closed cars is to just completely remove it and replace it with 1x1 tubing. Simple! It gains you a couple inches of glass and it fixes the "off" looking proportions of the stock unit. You can make it really easy and drill & tap for the windshield hinge before you weld it in so you aren't doing it upside down. Much better! [;)

I really appreciate the ideas.[cl:cool:
The header idea is going to happen first. I think I am going to raise the body a inch or so. Really don’t want to much of the frame showing under the care from the side profile but I think if I raise it up so the bottom corner of the lower fire wall lines up with the lower gusset of the frame it’ll look ok.

Last edited:
What I have found to be an easy fix for the windshield header on '26-27 closed cars is to just completely remove it and replace it with 1x1 tubing. Simple! It gains you a couple inches of glass and it fixes the "off" looking proportions of the stock unit. You can make it really easy and drill & tap for the windshield hinge before you weld it in so you aren't doing it upside down. Much better! [;)

Appreciate it :cool:

Hello all, hope you had a great gobble day.
Finally back on my feet and after lots of PT I hope I only got a couple weeks left.
Now on to the car. Haven’t done much. Did get the cheater slicks mounted up and tried to mount the front bias ply till I realized that the new tires I ordered almost a year ago were 16’s instead of 17’s.
Got the front axel ready to weld the bat wings on. Baby steps I guess but can’t wait to finally get some serious hours on her soon.

Good looking project.

I like the Chop top, but also agree raising the windshield header looks good from my computer. Keep posting when you get back to work on it.

It's a coupe. Keep the roof. (Very few builders have pulled off a pleasing "coupester".)

I suggest you raise your windshield header to match the side windows...

attachment.php

attachment.php

So this is happening today. I agree it’s a good mod my only issue is I want to use a visor just cause it looks cool. Maybe have to build one with holes in it.

Never fails I do one thing and it leads to 10 other mods lol.
Never gonna be done by April.....
Input???

Latest posts

Back