Dream Shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc5080

Here it is ... the first major step in moving towards my "dream" shop ... or at least as dreamy as my wallet will allow :D.

More when the contractor actually starts on the pad and foundation.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BldgPermit1.jpg
    BldgPermit1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 193
I'm green with envy. I'd love a suburban or rural acreage, but the cards have yet to play in my favour...

Have you considered a heated slab for your shop? It costs more initially, but pays you back in a few years. (Properly done, it's the only way to fly in my opinion.)

Have you considered a heated slab for your shop? It costs more initially, but pays you back in a few years. (Properly done, it's the only way to fly in my opinion.)

I thought about it long and hard .. and decided against it. The added costs of everything involved put it outside the available funds and "she who must not be named" will not lightly allow me to go over budget. I am doing this with the money left over from selling our house in the city and there is not really enough to do everything I might want to do. With styrofoam insulation around the thickened edge slab to below the frost line I should be ok with a unit heater as long as I don't let the building freeze. Hope so anyway. I may talk to the contractor and run the lines for infloor heat but if I do that I would have to insulate under the slab as well .... more cost in an already to tight budget.

Any shop is a good shop. I wish I had gone for the variance to get the extra height for a lift. It was $350 just to ask, and I thought I could get by without it. I can, but a lift at my age would be wonderful.

Congrats man. I know the feeling of waiting on a shop!!! I have the plans in my hands and waiting on the county! Keep us posted[cl

Congrats... I got mine 5 yrs ago now... seems like yesterday. I went through the city permitting/inspector routine when I lived in Houston & told the wife I never wanted to go through that again. Out where I live now... the only permit required is for your septic... gotta love it! Good luck with keeping your sanity & or hair! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

I'm like Tripper, out here they don't care what you build. They'll just charge you taxes on it when it gets done anyway. [ddd

I'm getting the materials together for a 24x40 "carport" addition onto my house. It'll give me room for 4 cars to park out of the weather. To start with it will have a gravel floor, hope to pour a slab later. Going to be open on the sides for now, too. May enclose it one of these days, may not. Already have my roof metal, went and seen a cousin of mine today, he's got the framework for the roof he's letting me have, still have to come up with 8 posts.

And so it begins ... Day 1 of the build. Preparing the site.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 78
It is taking lots of fill. 8 truck loads of course fill so far and 2 more to go. Then comes the 3/4 down. Had to raise the back end about 18".

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back