Progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odies dad

Thought I would give you guys an update on my hotrod project.
30 model A pickup, 55 Desoto 291 hemi, 700r4 transmission, 88 corvette rear end.
Got the body channeled 4 inches over the weekend. Got the radiator and grill shell attached.
Lots to do, but it is coming along.

413838530.jpg

Nice choice of engine. What are your plans for the windshield/frame?

I am still pondering that one.
I am thinking about cutting the whole top of the windshield off and going with frameless top. I am open to suggestions.
I would like to make a roadster cowl out of the closed cab cowl, but my metal fabricating skills aren't quite that advanced. I saw an article about a 32 pickup that someone did that to.

Looking really good! My honest opinion on the windshield would be to keep the hinge feature. Even in a roadster, the flow can really be manipulated by the tilt windshield. Even if you chop it or make it frameless it can still be hinged.

If you're going frameless at the top, you probably need to re-enforce what will be left in a U shape. Think about a single pin pivot point near the top of your windshield frame sides and incorporate a hole in the pillar to match on both sides. Angle iron comes to mind for making something simple. Using bolts for the pins give you a way to remove it easy.

xcellent, I also like hemi's. How about a 6carb log manifold set up. Way cool 50's type retro set up.....Just my 2 bit opinion :)

I like it too.........good old time hot rod. :D As for your windshield dilemma, here is one option. If you chopped the support pillars to lower the windshield, then ran a smallish piece of box tubing across the top to give it some support, that would take some of the height and bulk out of the windshield, and look cool.

You could use something like maybe 1 x 1 tubing, weld it on both sides and fair it in to make it look like it came that way. Then you could chop the windshield frame and fasten it into that structure. If it were low enough, you wouldn't need to make it crank open because you would get enough airflow over the top.

I bet if you took 4-5 inches out of the height, it would change the look of the whole car. Just a suggestion.:)

Here, I suck at photo shopping, but this will give you the idea of what I mean. Looks like I was drunk when I did this.

Attachments

• 413838530.jpg
    413838530.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 99

Latest posts

Back