WRX or Legacy type gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm building a resto-mod 37 Buick with a 95 LT1 engine. I'm considering using a WRX or Legacy style gas tank instead of the typical rear mount tank. The primary purpose is safety, as this will be a daily driver and I want to take my grandkids for rides without worrying about the texting teen who could rear end me. The Subaru WRX and Legacy have saddle type gas tanks that mount in front of the rear axle and straddle the drive shaft. There are numerous other AWD cars with similar tanks. Mid 2000 WRX and Legacy appear to have a similar return line on their fuel system (see attached) and there are aftermarket fuel pumps compatible with the LT1 fuel injection system.
1) Has anyone out seen this done?
Thanks,
Mutt

Attachments

• 03 subru fuel tank diagram.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
You can do 2 fuel cell or similar custom tanks and then use a Cadillac CTS fuel pump module and siphon system. They can be had for cheap money (less than $100) and will put out the correct pressure and flow for the LT1 motor. E36 BMW is similar style tank.

90's Ford Thunderbirds and Mercury Cougars used a tank that sat above the driveshaft under the rear seat also. They had a IRS, so the driveshaft never changed planes unless you slung out a U joint. :eek: They also had EFI, so the pumps might work for you also.

You can do 2 fuel cell or similar custom tanks and then use a Cadillac CTS fuel pump module and siphon system. They can be had for cheap money (less than $100) and will put out the correct pressure and flow for the LT1 motor. E36 BMW is similar style tank.

Thanks for the lead. I'll check that out.

90's Ford Thunderbirds and Mercury Cougars used a tank that sat above the driveshaft under the rear seat also. They had a IRS, so the driveshaft never changed planes unless you slung out a U joint. :eek: They also had EFI, so the pumps might work for you also.

Thanks for this information.

I believe my 95 LT1 engine has a return fuel line from the fuel rail. From what I read about LS1 engines of the 2000s era, they did not have the return line. 1) Does Cadillac CTS fuel system have return line from the fuel rail?
2) If the CTS system has a return line, how would I connect my 95 LT1 fuel lines to the 2000+ CTS fuel pump? (Since connectors are different)
Forgive me if these seem like simple questions, this is my first project car.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back