Workplace safety

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

Seems to be more work place accidents this year. A company down the road from us was welding on a tanker trailer last Tuesday morning. It was lucky no one was killed. They only walked away with some scrapes and bruises. Maybe some loins ringing in there ears.

854ADA30-894E-4CED-89A4-1C4C5101AE78.jpeg
9B1C858F-31DA-431C-81BB-F2256AEAA4DF.jpeg
CD92CD09-C551-4896-983F-7DC7F3462220.jpeg
265375DF-2AB7-4616-86B3-D57FD1CC05C2.jpeg

holy moly.... that would ruïn yer hair-do.
Glad no one was injured.
what caused the explosion? some kind of dust in the trailer? Looks like there was no fire...

Looks like a petro trailer. Fumes would be my guess.

I worked in the tank trailer business for 15 years. Our service shop steamed the living hell out of a petro tank, tested and sniffed for fumes, steam some more, test, steam, test, steam until there wasn't a fart molecule to be found.

This is tank service 101 and the LAWS are very clear. Somebody's in a heap of trouble for that disaster.

Looks like a petro trailer. Fumes would be my guess.

I worked in the tank trailer business for 15 years. Our service shop steamed the living hell out of a petro tank, tested and sniffed for fumes, steam some more, test, steam, test, steam until there wasn't a fart molecule to be found.

This is tank service 101 and the LAWS are very clear. Somebody's in a heap of trouble for that disaster.

I did some underground storage tank removals. We did a lot of dry ice or nitrogen to displace the fumes and sniff for hydrocarbons and Oxygen. Can never be too careful.

I'm with you on that man!

Just not enough money for me to work on that kind of stuff....
just not worth it...
I get into enough trouble working on normal everyday things..;)

I don't screw with that stuff... I leave it to the pro's.... who somethings drop the ball too...:eek:

I once washed out a motorcycle tank thoroughly and was ready to start cutting into it but decided to give it flame test just to be sure. A roar like a jet engine and a ten foot flame out the filler is what i got.

The gas hides in the seams, inside rust, porosity, lurking, ready to mix with air and ignite at the slightest bit of heat...... :(

I worked with a guy once that claimed he welded on car gas tanks with an exhaust hose from a running car running in to the gas tank. He said the carbon monoxide would displace any oxygen, rendering the gasoline fumes non flammable. I respectfully warned him to notify me if he was ever going to attempt this stunt around me so I could leave the premises!

When I get back from Syracuse I should drive by and get another picture. They haven’t started rebuilding but they have all the damaged removed and cleaned up.
Here’s a link to a local news site. A security camera down that recorded the blast.
http://vocm.com/news/surveillance-footage-captures-trimac-explosion/

From what every ones saying there was 9 people working there at the time. 2 inside the shop who were underneath the tanker. They escaped with just cuts and brusies

Last weekend I was in my shop and heard and FELT a big kaboom - shook the building hard. Go out, the wife is running out the house yelling "what was that?" - she thought I'd blown myself up. LOL! I'm pretty sure if it woulda been any bigger, it woulda cracked some windows.

Look over and the neighbor had lit his burn pit/brush pile on fire... with gas. He was picking himself up off the ground, white as a sheet. Went to make sure he was OK and told him that scared me pretty good. Kinda quiet and still shaken, he says "Me too. I been doing that for 30 years and never had that happen."

The perfect example of it's fine I do it all the time, until one time it isn't.

I learned this lesson early on. I was cutting on something with a torch at work, when one of the guys on a different crew came up and asked me to cut the top off of a squarish can. Sure. BOOM! Fortunately, the pieces went in a different way than where we were standing. It was a freshly emptied solvent can.

In our part of the country refinery explosions are sometimes caused by someone doing what's called a hot tap.:eek:

Back to the brush fire story. About thirty years ago a friend of mine. nicknamed Dangerous Dave. was going to help me burn some brush pile on my land. I had already lit the pile on the down wind end with a small propane torch. When I looked up I see Dave walking around in the bush heap pouring gasoline out of a 5 gallon jug , so I hollered at him to get the F@#* out there. He said don't worry about it. About then the fumes exploded, the bush heap came about what I thought was a foot or so off the ground all around him and he came running out of the pile White as ghost with his hair all singed. Luckily the explosion blew the fire out. Gas fumes are nothing to mess with.

Latest posts

Back