What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where ya goin' snopro?

Going to Great Falls, MT to visit some friends, then Deer Lodge, MT to see the prison and car museums (again), then to Lake Pend O'reille, Idaho to visit with some friends that are renting a cabin down there. They took their 8.1L BBC powered 25 foot boat [cl

I've been lucky to find a bunch of piddly things on my truck in the last few days that could have made the trip rather frustrating. Tonight I found that the bolt on my oil pump housing that holds the pressure relief spring had loosened off and was now finger tight. That would have been fun...

Pretty sure she's ready to go now!

Yesterday, the 3 of us went to our shops and put in a full day, and then some. Don has his boat in his shop, and is getting ready to pull the motor out to replace it. I helped him for a while, and we got the outdrive removed.

Dan worked on the notched rear crossmember on my rpu, doing the final fabrication and welding. I basically sat on a chair and ran for tools for him, because when he gets into doing something, it is a one man job and he hates distractions. Don and I were joking that this crossmember should be in a museum, because of the time and effort Dan put into making it perfect. :D

Don left the shop at about 1:30 am, and Dan and I decided to stay until we got this one last job done so that I don't have to bother him to do any more welding for me for a while, and he can concentrate on working on his own VW project. We didn't leave the shop until 3:30 am, and came home, showered and crashed !

Today, I feel like a train ran over me, but now I can concentrate on the stuff I can finish up myself on the car, like brake lines, mounting the radiator, etc.

Other than the lil case of food poisoning I contracted after eating out last week... I was finally able to get back in the shop Sunday. I'm using orig '46 Ford spindles & tried to heat the steering arms to clear my 4" drop axle but that didn't work out so I cut the stock arms off & ordered some from Pete & Jakes. This issue has stalled my efforts to finally get a roller but I'm back on the case!

Dan and I decided to stay until we got this one last job done so that I don't have to bother him to do any more welding for me for a while, and he can concentrate on working on his own VW project.

Ummmm... VW project?!? Where are the photos? [dr

BoB

Attachments

• newarm.jpg
    newarm.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 18
I cleaned out the bed of my 36 International. 2" of leaves that had turned into some black dirt/mulch. It had sat under a tree since the 60's. But no rust through, in fact looks pretty solid.
Got started on the cab. Lots more trash and rat/mouse crap. The floor wood is still sorta intact.

I also went and looked at another 36 C-1 a guy here in town has. Glad mine is in better shape than his, but he has a spare frame and some spare cab parts.

I got the quarter window run channels formed and installed. I had to fabricate some mounting brackets, as most of the ones in the car were missing or damaged. I installed the windows, and everything fits and works well. :D I rebuilt the right trunk lid hinge and was checking the junky trunk lid I bout to replace my badly-rusted one, only to discover that the replacement had so many problems that it was counter-productive to continue messing with it. I cut all the cancer out of my original lid and welded in patch panels. I figured, while I was at it, I'd fill the trim holes, as mine are badly pitted and I don't want to spend the cash on new ones. I'm not very experienced or confident about my welding skills on sheet metal, but it turned out pretty well, and the lid fits much better than the other one did. Now for some massaging, followed by some Kitty Hair and a skim coat of bondo. It's nice to check a couple things off of the "list". :)

Attachments

• 20180805_141450[1].jpg
    20180805_141450[1].jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 17
On the Prospector, future Rat Rod 89 F150, I got all the vacuum lines rerouted, plugged and connected as well as plugging some emission holes in the 302s heads. Started the new fuel lines. Hoping to get this running with in 2 weeks. Going to be tough with the heat. Check out the screen shot of my weather station in SWCT. Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-07 Northern Part Of Town Weather Personal Weather Station KCTSTRAT3 by Wunder.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-07 Northern Part Of Town Weather Personal Weather Station KCTSTRAT3 by Wunder.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
I got the trunk lid and hood for the '56 Fairlane as straight as I'm able, primered and blocked a couple times, finally shot a coat of sealer on them and the custom taillight surrounds. Got the dash pretty much finished. Started cutting parts for the console. Then for the fun part...getting the garage picked up and straightened up so I can find everything again. :D Car should go into the paint room tomorrow for preparation of the rear window opening. Then window installation, and we'll see just how bad the body work is going to kick my tail. I may just fit up everything, bolt it on, and drive the car for a couple of months to see if there are any issues before pulling it in for paint.

Rot I cut out of trunk lid...

attachment.php

Halfway patched up...

attachment.php

In sealer...

attachment.php

The hood...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180805_130936[1].jpg
    20180805_130936[1].jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180811_152319[1].jpg
    20180811_152319[1].jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180811_152328[1].jpg
    20180811_152328[1].jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180805_130915[1].jpg
    20180805_130915[1].jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180805_130929[1].jpg
    20180805_130929[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 27
Can't do much with my arm in a sling. Four more weeks then physical therapy. It'll be while before I can get back to building the roadster pickup.
I did manage to disassemble some Autolite 2 barrels and clean them. They are for the dragster. Gotta get some correct jets then I can put them back together.

Did you ever have one of those weekends that you pretty much got nothing done? That was my weekend. Worked Friday night and this AM. Yesterday it rained so I laid around. Took a couple naps too. Jim

Not much so far. Did take the wife to Amenia NY to do some family history stuff so it was a good weekend. Stayed in Cornwall CT. Real beautiful country. Also checked out Connecticut museum of antique machinery.

Wow. That can't be the same hood and trunk lid, you pulled a switchero on us ! :D

Really looks great. Amazing what a little work and a lot of skill can do.

I didn't really get anything done this weekend. Friday I had some Drs appointments, and didn't feel like doing much the rest of the day. Then Saturday, Don, Dan, and I pulled the 454 engine out of Dons boat, getting ready to put in a new engine. We had to rent a big gantry to use to lift it out, ours is not tall enough or wide enough to go over his boat. But it went pretty well

Tonight Dan and I scrubbed up and degreased his bilge for him. He was planning on doing that tomorrow night, but he will be surprised to see it all nice and white now.

Participated in a couple of car shows this weekend despite the high temperatures (37C = 99F). Had a pretty good time and was thrilled to win a "People's Choice" trophy on Saturday!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0955 (1).jpg
    IMG_0955 (1).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 41
Think I got a bad case of tractorass...This weekend we finally got 4 more culverts in our roadway back here and spread the last of 100 cubic yards of crushed concrete. Let the water go.....That 41" of high water beyond normal probably doubled since I mentioned that. In this area, we have the only two drainages for an area that collects water for over a mile in every direction. All the small ponds are full and have created one big lake. All that has to come thru here. The water is out onto the road around a turn not far from our gate. There have been 3 turned over vehicles on that curve since all the rain started. They just don't get it. Signs to slow down. Barricades across one lane. Oh, go ahead, plow right into water at 55+....put the whoopass on one big truck and 2 small cars already. Upside down in the water is not my idea of road travel...

Not much so far. Did take the wife to Amenia NY to do some family history stuff so it was a good weekend. Stayed in Cornwall CT. Real beautiful country. Also checked out Connecticut museum of antique machinery.

Every year the museum has a tractor/machinery show in September. Big tag sale area and lumberjack comps and lots of old tractors. Well worth the trip. We usually head up there. Jim

Latest posts

Back