1985 mini cooper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21775124f1849d880_zps30458fae.gif

Very kool build... oughta be a screamer with the Honda bullet!!! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

with the built manual motor, it ran high 12's in the 1/4, it was a hand full, traction was always a problem, and the car could corner like crazy

when I lived in Red Lodge England, I had a double roundabout with maybe 20 yards in-between the two roundabouts going into my neighborhood and
the car was still a 998/automatic drivetrain and
I had the car on stock old rubber cones and dropped with hi-lo's and gaz adjustable shocks, I used to be able to take those roundabouts at 55mph's

I had a 2008 dodge Dakota x-cab bone stock and could only take those roundabouts at 35mph
and then my Chrysler van I could only take them at 20-25mph

and now my suspension is way better then what I had on it before, but I'm no longer in the UK and I live in Tucson

I wish I could hit those roundabouts with my car with all the upgraded suspension, lol

drivetrain now has coolant, trans oil, engine oil in it

I have to wire up the rear plate lights and fog light and figure out what switch I'm going to use for the fog light

02 sensor install, plus make the rear half of the exhaust

brake lines all around, install calipers

fuel lines, install fuel tank, ext fuel pump pick up tube, ext fuel pump and fuel level wiring

finish building the positive battery cable, build battery mount, install battery ground cable

the list is getting short, to having the car running

but I still need to do the interior work, but I want to hear it run before anything inside happens

purge canister by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

fuel tank in boot by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr
fuel tank is in but I need to make a new strap to hold it in place

fuel lines are ran
and I even installed the purge canister
and ran lines from the fuel tank to it and the a few lines from the intake manifold to it

I want the drivetrain to run the same as it did in the del slow chassis, so I'm swapping it all over

in Tucson I have to pass emissions for a 85 car, the law is 67 and older don't need to smog
so they will put the car on the rolling road and tail pipe test it
so I want this 95 drivetrain to pass like it did earlier this summer

the only way to not have to smog is to get it registers outside of Tucson or phx, but they say if I drive it in those citys I need to smog it, don't want to ride dirty
or get classic car insur/tag for it, but then I'm limited to how many miles I can drive it and when I can drive it, so that's a no go for me

so I'm making it so that I can pass smog for my 85 reg year chassis

the mini tank isn't going to work out

my added section is good but the tank has so many small pin holes in it

I'm going to have to weld every bit up on it

so I'm going to drop the stock Honda del slow tank into my trunk

and get it running with the Honda tank

and keep on moving forward

and then in a few months when all the bugs are worked out
weld up all the bad spots on the mini tank and make it leak free
and do from their

I don't have the time to sit on the mini tank for a few weeks trying to get it leak free

when I can move on to the exhaust and few other things I need to work on to get it drivable

sheet metal dash by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

I started to work on my dash last weekend

exhaust is done and coated, just need to install it for the last time

weather changed and my hips don't like the pressure in the clouds

I'm going to try and install the exhaust tomorrow

13x5 wheel by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

the wheels I'm looking at buying

they are 13x5 trailer wheels, company said they are made for 1/2 inch wheel studs, my car currently has 3/8's wheel studs, so I need to upgrade the size

my buddy did metric 12 studs on his car and those are a hair smallest then 1/2 inch

so I want to see if I can get away with smaller studs or I'm going to have to drill out my drive flanges for 1/2 inch studs to be able to run those wheels

I got a intake system for it now

I ordered a 3 inch 45 deg tube off of amazon,
intake tube and filter from autozone, but I cut up the metal tube to fit how I want it to

intake by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

those 13x5 wheels I was looking at wont work, they are made for 1/2 inch wheel studs and the hub flanges on the mini cant be safely drilled out to take a 1/2 inch stud

so I'm going to go with some minilite wheels

I have a set of 13x5 mini lites, but they need a special lug nut, and in the 3/8's size they sell for mini's, they are $8 each and I have to get 16 of them,
way to much $$ for lug nuts, but I came up with another plan

I can order 7/16's studs and lug nuts for almost nothing,
chevy parts pretty much,

mini lite wheels use lug nuts that are pretty much the same as what is used on Cragar SS rims,

my buddy has mini wheels with 12m x 1.5m studs and the hub fits those just fine

I found some 7/16 studs that have the same size kurl head as the standard mini 3/8's studs, so it should be a straight swap over

I plan to order studs and lug nuts next pay day

716 studs by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

I put some 7/16's studs into the hubs

stock is 3/8's

I ran out of welding wire building one of the lower control arm tie bars,
its about 90% welded up
and I plan go buy a 10 reel of welding wire

and finish those bars up this weekend, and then I can get the car back onto the ground

rear disc brake by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

i started to work on rear disc brakes

this rotor is a Honda and its a 9.4 inch solid disc
it uses a single piston caliper with a cable pull set up for the park brake

i started to draw on cardboard to make the bracket set up

Latest posts

Back