Memorial day... my Dad was a Veteran!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well, it’s Memorial day. Time to honor & remember all the men & women who fought to make & keep this awesome country what is is today.

I went to see my Dad today... he is buried in Houston’s Veteran’s Cemetery. He was very proud of his military service during WWII in the Navy & wanted to be buried with other veterans. He & his twin were too young (16) to enlist & lied about their age to get in. During the war he was a airplane mechanic on a carrier & got injured several times during attacks. He also saw his brother’s ship get sunk & didn’t find out until much later that his brother had actually survived.

I got my love of cars from him & I’m really glad he loved cars & not golf or something else like that... not that there’s anything wrong with golf! He forgot more about cars than I will ever know... & he was a natural mechanic. He also loved to do engine swaps & one of my fav’s he did was swap a big Caddy motor into a ‘57 Ranchero. Talkin’ about burn-outs! That sucker would burn ‘um all the way down the street. He finally put sand bags in the back to get some traction!

If your Dad is still alive be sure & enjoy him while u can. My Dad has been gone 14 years & I still miss him every day & so many times I wish I could just call him up & talk.

Yo Dad... this Bud’s for you!!!

BoB

Attachments

• Sr.jpg
    Sr.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks for the neat post, you are right enjoy your dads when you can. And make sure to thank any vet you know for serving. I am a sole surviving son of a vetern killed in action and know first hand of the sacrifices made by all those who have and are serving.

Thank You Vets!!!

My "POPS" was much like yours. Lied about his age so he could serve two tours in Saigon and one tour in Vietnam...I call myself lucky every day that I still have him with me. 37yrs, 10mos, 23days worth of service in tha Alabama National guard with 23 different MOS's...I never had any doubt what I was supposed to do ...I am proud of who my dad is and am proud of who my dad raised me to be as well...

Today is the day to remember all Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines...
I'm proud to be one myself...

HOOAHH...
SEMPER FI...

Even tho I'm a vet myself. I thank ALL vets past, present & future for the service that they give to this great country of ours, daily.

Matter of fact I still serve. My regular job allows our Cavalry Scouts to train to fight.

My Mom and Dad were both vets..........................I have always been proud of them.....................sure miss them.

Hey Trip....................what a great picture that is, I gotta find the one of my Dad and his Indian "Four"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back