new tire squirm?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
took the new axiom A/T tires i installed on the rear of the dually for a 455 mile test run.
the tire squirm was so bad i pulled over THREE different times to check suspension/lug nuts/pressure.
the first 100 miles were so scary i slowed way down.
the damn thing was almost fishtailing
like driving on ice almost
i am wondering if adding weight to the bed will help any?

New tires will do that Billy. And having duals just doubles the feeling, I've put new tires on my Freightliner before and it did the same thing, even with a loaded trailer at full 80,000 lbs gross weight. The tires are slick out of the mold, and have to get "roughed up" before the feeling will go away. Usually 1,000 to 2,000 miles will do the trick. Weight might make them wear in faster, but they will still feel like they are squirming even with weight on them. Just enjoy that new tire ride, in a few days you won't even notice anymore!

Not surprisingly
The added weight didn't do anything to that Cummins
I can still pass darn near anything I want
I sure love that replacement van aaken bus controller box

There is different styles of set ups. On some set ups there is nub that sticks out. The rims will have a hole for the nub to stick thru. What this does is line the holes in the rims up so that you can air up your inner tire if needed or check the air psi. If this isn't aligned it will make a horrible vibration usually.

I could put another 1000 lbs in the bed.
Probably won't do much to my milage
With the winter blend fuel I get 16.5 mpg city anyway
More traction is always welcome

There is different styles of set ups. On some set ups there is nub that sticks out. The rims will have a hole for the nub to stick thru. What this does is line the holes in the rims up so that you can air up your inner tire if needed or check the air psi. If this isn't aligned it will make a horrible vibration usually.

I think the pin is actually more to keep the wheels indexed properly because every other hole is inny or outy and they have to be mated inny to outy and not inny/inny or outy/outy

i like getting feedback from here because we have so many members from every conceivable branch of the automotive world
that a guy can ask ANYTHING about anything that has wheels on it and get solid info[cl

I think the pin is actually more to keep the wheels indexed properly because every other hole is inny or outy and they have to be mated inny to outy and not inny/inny or outy/outy

Ya it does both. I've had the pin with the style of wheels that aren't set up like you mentioned. I have three different style of dually wheels :-/

Was it the alignment pins?

nope
tread squirm
i went from the E rated towing tires IR POPS had on it to deep waffle type all terrain tires E rated and they feel completely different
add that to the fact that they still had the mold release on them due to them being brand spankin new
and the feel was just so different it was disorienting.
just like you guys said
they are getting better

Latest posts

Back