Anybody have a 6.7 cummins?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I'm looking at a 08 6.7 cummins truck but I've never been around them or the 6 spd auto trans. Anybody have any feedback on them? It's a 4500 series truck that I'm looking at. I was going to just get another one ton but found a smoking deal on this one.

Ok...here is what I've heard...

The 6.7 is a great motor....no issues there....the trans however is a weak link...apparently my kids friend has one and can't keep a trans in it...it's been suggested to either go back to the 4spd auto or go with a Sun coast trans which are pretty pricey...and it's a common issue with trans over heating....
the Trans blew, then was rebuilt by dealer once...blew again almost immediately..got a Chrysler reman and it blew...apparently the case distorts from heat and I guess they generate a ton of it....apparently once the case gets heated, nothing retains / fits in it properly....so I guess I'd be checking to see if the trans has been replaced, rebuilt or gone thru and if so, I'd prepare for a bit of expense as it will probably go again...and this is supposed to be a common issue with the 6spd autos.....frankly, I'm not into Dodge trucks so somewhat biased....lol...smoking deal may mean previous issues.....

What year is the truck you are referring to? I wonder if all the 6 spd autos are the same.

Thanks

Ok I've been doing tons of reading on the 6 spd autos. If the truck was a cab/chassis truck it would have a airin brand trans. If it was not a cab/chassis truck it would have the Orion brand transmission.

I believe the truck I'm looking at is a cab/chassis truck since it's a 4500 series.

My sis had a new 08. Lots of towing and no tranny problems but the emissions crap was a nightmare. You can not leave it idle and it really doesn't help because it won't even make enough heat to defog the windshield until it gets up to highway speed. It was in and out of the shop and even had a couple new injectors before 100,000. All on warranty but try $2700 (dealer) for one injector. She traded it off before it went off warranty and was glad to get rid of it. Then got a used 09 F350 P/S with a 6 speed and loved that. It would pull the pants off that Dodge.

I just called the dealer that had the truck and it's already sold. So the search continues.

What year is the truck you are referring to? I wonder if all the 6 spd autos are the same.

Thanks

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/powertrain-pro/dodge-diesel-transmission-problems-68rfe-48re

This site was given to me by a friend who owns DNR Customs...a diesel engine builder of race diesels and pullers....I just read some of it....but sounds like they have some issues...his response to me was "better to have the manual 6spd if you are hauling anything"..... I'm no mopar guy and know nothing of these transmissions.....

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/powertrain-pro/dodge-diesel-transmission-problems-68rfe-48re

This site was given to me by a friend who owns DNR Customs...a diesel engine builder of race diesels and pullers....I just read some of it....but sounds like they have some issues...his response to me was "better to have the manual 6spd if you are hauling anything"..... I'm no mopar guy and know nothing of these transmissions.....

A little bit of that info conflicts with what I've already read in several places. Especially with the info on the airin transmission.

That's the problem with the net. Anyone can post anything and it's up to the reader to decide what's crap.

My two cents.....I wouldn't have an auto with a diesel, only a manual. Too much torque. Only auto's I ever seen stay together behind a diesel were an Allison, and even they give some problems. Even the in the semi truck world, there are very few full automatics, most are auto shift manual transmissions that you still have to use the clutch for stopping and starting. Most of the full automatics are Allison's, and are used in city trucks like garbage trucks and lightweight dumps.

I've never had a diesel pickup, only semi's, so I may be talking out my butt. :D

I have a cummins truck with 430k on it with a auto trans. Not all if them are junk. 99% of them are not maintained properly and that's what kills them a lot of the time. Are they perfect? No, but can be reliable. I do agree that the mannual trans is a better option but after all my research I don't think I would hesitate to own a cab n chassis truck with the aisin trans. Now the Orion that came in regular trucks I don't think I would own. My search for a new truck continues. And I will be searching for a manual but won't turn away a good deal on a airin trans truck.

Thanks for the input guys.

Auto with a cummins... I have an 04-1/2 with an auto and 4x4. Tow a bobcat/mini excavator once in a while. No issues and over 200k. My mechanic at NTG racing says if you're worried about the auto trans get a different torque converter and valve body. They do requir a band adjustment every 2 years or so for regular driving. As for the newer 6.7L all that exhaust crap sucks. Rip it off and let her rip. Mileage increase and power out the wazoo!

Latest posts

Back