Offenhauser intake

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Transplant

He started out with nothing, he still has most of
0221151522-01.jpg

0221151522-00.jpg

OK I have an offenhauser intake and a quadrajet carb ,,, I dumped a little gas down in the carb to get it to fire up for the first time and gas leaked out between the base gasket and manifold... I got a new gasket and same thing happens ,,,do I have to get a adapter plate for this set up ?

Last edited:
I first have to ask, are you sure it came from between the gasket and didn't run out the butterfly shafts?
Quadrajets are notorious for the shafts wearing out.

old iron im not 100% on that but it looked like it come from left front ahead of butter flys .... it has a skip in it so Im not sure if its sucking air or I have some valves to tight .. I figure if I get an adapter plate (which I havnt found yet ) that would fix the leak and eliminate that as the skip .. It didnt leak when It was running , just when I dumped the gas down it ..

It's almost impossible to get a Holley to seal up on a Quadrajet intake and vise versa
It most likely is dripping off the shaft when you pour it into the carb.
Here's the adapter to use
Trans Adapt 2034
product_thumb2.php

Quadrajets have those metering well plugs in the bottom...

between the base plate and the housing....prone to leakage....they have a sponge rubber gasket of sorts in most Qjet rebuild kits...but I've always epoxied them when I rebuilt them....never had a leak again....they are soldered in from GM...never hold ....Think that might be your fuel source...

If it runs, you should easily be able to determine if it has a vacuum leak. Just get 3-4 feet of vacuum hose, listen in one end and place the other end at area suspected of leaking.

I have a little different theory on those well plugs. Back in the 70s they had us all convinced we need to epoxy them on every build because the float bowls were draining down. Come to find out, it was leaking back down the fuel line and they put the little check ball in the fuel filter and cured it. I've probably rebuilt a couple hundred since then and never epoxied another one and afaik, never had a problem with one leaking.

I got an adapter plate it started up and run ruff ... didnt leak any more gas ... I also adjusted the valves again ,, I think the ruff run was just as much the valves to tight as the vacuum leak .. got the valves adjusted ,, and it runs alot better but still got some bugs to work out.. I'll tinker with it more tomorrow . as long as its warm like it was today :D Think it got to 73* today

Start it up and spray around with some wd40 or something. If it's sucking air it will let ya know cause it's gonna effect how it runs.

Never saw one that wasn't wet when I opened it up..

If it runs, you should easily be able to determine if it has a vacuum leak. Just get 3-4 feet of vacuum hose, listen in one end and place the other end at area suspected of leaking.

I have a little different theory on those well plugs. Back in the 70s they had us all convinced we need to epoxy them on every build because the float bowls were draining down. Come to find out, it was leaking back down the fuel line and they put the little check ball in the fuel filter and cured it. I've probably rebuilt a couple hundred since then and never epoxied another one and afaik, never had a problem with one leaking.

If it was a running car.....No bull that they leaked....check valve cured hard start but those wells leaked all the time...at least in my experience...I never rebuilt one without sealing them..even if it wasn't damp with fuel....but again, that was me....glad you had better luck than most....I didn't take a chance

Throw that quadrajet away and get you a Holley Street Avenger or a Edelbrock carb. Or even one of those Summit Racing carbs. All are better than a worn out quadrajet.

Latest posts

Back