GPS Speedometers???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

Anybody have experience with these? Good or bad.

I'm talking about the ones that you install in the dash. Not the app for your cell phone. Although, that is an interesting idea also.

It seems that you just install it and it works. Well at least as well as the satellite access in the area. It seem like one would have to sign up for a service, but none of the ads on eBay say so, and none of the articles I have searched out on the web say so. Some say they are not great for here and now, but others claim that drag racers use them.

I used a Speedhut gauge in my cuda..
works really great, very accurate and it had a hot wire to keep signal and no - very little search time. no signal = no speedo. so in a tunnel you can go for it :D

Speedhut also has Great customer service

GPS works off of geostationary satellites by measuring the signal between them, and calculating the distance and speed. The satellites are always in the same place, so they are pretty accurate. I've never ran a stand alone speedometer, but my GPS unit has one built in and I've compared it to the speedometer in three different trucks and it is dead on with two of them, the third has a taller tire and is off by about .10 per mile, or two mph at 70 mph, speedometer is slower on that one. I would guess the stand alone units are just as close. Like Dutch said, it must have a clear view of the sky, so the antenna need to be where this is possible, not under the dash or against the roof. Going through a tunnel or a rock gorge might interrupt it for a time, but it will pick right up when it sees a signal again.

I see them on eBay for anywhere from $10 to $100+. I wonder if there is a difference in quality. I can't believe the prices on real spedos. :eek:

Went on a road trip a couple years ago and my daughter/navigator had a $69 Garman. It not only told the exact speed all the time but also showed it in red if you were over the posted speed limit. It never missed a lick from here to Seattle and back. Plus the added bonus that it can keep you from missing your wife because it's a woman's voice that's always nagging at you.

Latest posts

Back