Hiding welded cast iron

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I've been working on an old tractor from the twenties, this winter, quite a bit. Some of the parts are hard to find, so I made them and learned a little of camouflage. Here is a piece of cast iron that I had to make six inches square. I had found two pieces that were 5"X6" so I cut 1" off the bottom of one and welded it onto the bottom of the other, with cast rod. The back was V'ed out and welded but the front was left with a slight crack, which I filled with body filler [applied with my finger, which might have been a mistake, I should have applied it with a putty knife or a credit card so the body filler would have been a little deeper], then I let the body filler harden a bit and placed a piece of 80 grit emery cloth over the filled crack and hammered it down lightly. [picture one]. [picture two] is after about three applications of high build primer, with a little tapping of the emery cloth again into the drying primer. 80 grit is a little too fine really, maybe worn down 40 grit would be better.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Back