Guess I got the bug....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are the images so huge???

The forum doesn't automatically resize your images. You have to do it yourself, before you attach and upload. I use MS Paint and resize by pixels.

Your images are 1000 pixels wide. I reduce to 800 pixels which fits the forum's "frame" without stretching it.

The forum doesn't automatically resize your images. You have to do it yourself, before you attach and upload. I use MS Paint and resize by pixels.

Your images are 1000 pixels wide. I reduce to 800 pixels which fits the forum's "frame" without stretching it.

Must have been a change sometime since the last time I posted. I've always used Photobucket and never saw this before.

I have everything figured out in my head with the exception of the battery box. Choices of location is severely limited and I absolutely do not want it in the bed.

A guy I know just did a ton of work on a COE 38 Ford he bought several years ago. It's on a full size Chev 1/2 ton frame with the engine behind the cab and a very long pickup box. Because removing rear tires was a hassle and so was getting to the engine, he put a couple electric actuators under the bed and hinged it at the rear for a tilt bed. You could do something like that for your flatbed to have access to the battery and everything under the bed. You'd just have to make sure to use some remote boost terminals in case the battery ever goes dead.

A guy I know just did a ton of work on a COE 38 Ford he bought several years ago. It's on a full size Chev 1/2 ton frame with the engine behind the cab and a very long pickup box. Because removing rear tires was a hassle and so was getting to the engine, he put a couple electric actuators under the bed and hinged it at the rear for a tilt bed. You could do something like that for your flatbed to have access to the battery and everything under the bed. You'd just have to make sure to use some remote boost terminals in case the battery ever goes dead.

Not certain I want to get that involved just for a battery hehe! That is a good idea, but the bed I am planning will be all steel and pretty hefty. I thought about some underbody boxes, but those damn leaf springs are in the way. Not much to work with on this 107" wheelbase. :(

Not certain I want to get that involved just for a battery hehe! That is a good idea, but the bed I am planning will be all steel and pretty hefty. I thought about some underbody boxes, but those damn leaf springs are in the way. Not much to work with on this 107" wheelbase. :(

The bed this guy has is pretty heavy, it's all about leverage :)

Ok - Committed to a plan...sort of anyway lol. I will relocate the bottom shock brackets to get the shocks in the mid-range of their travel and leave the rest of the rear suspension as is.

The battery box will go under the bed. It will be tight, but I will still be able to service/replace it if need be from underneath by lifting the truck.

I had an idea the other night about using a 55 gallon steel barrel cut lengthwise in half and welding it to a steel bulkhead at the rear of the truck. This would negate the need to add additional length to the framerails and provide a way to cover the "fuel cell" plus finish off the back of the bed. Here is what it would be hiding...

This is a 11 gallon air tank that I can convert into a diesel tank. Another option is to just weld the half barrel to the steel bulkhead and use it alone as the fuel tank...that might be a little ambitious for my skill level.

Attachments

• DSC05430.jpg
    DSC05430.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC05431.jpg
    DSC05431.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
Alright, I have two barrels to experiment with...one held 70% isopropyl alcohol and the other some type of light scented oil. I washed them both out with Dawn/water and I'm drying both out atm.

Thinking the blue barrel which held the light oil will probably be the safest to cut on. I have not seen this done before...maybe it won't be goofy looking. Picture the barrel half lower and the top even with the flatbed floor...almost like a rolled pan.

Attachments

• DSC05433.jpg
    DSC05433.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC05435.jpg
    DSC05435.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
The cut something along this line...the bottom of the tank will be about even with the swaybar and I will have around 7-1/2" of flat space along each side of the tank for tail lights/signals.

Attachments

• DSC05436.jpg
    DSC05436.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'm liking the idea of using it for the actual fuel tank instead of just a cover for the converted air tank...sure seems like it would be simpler. We shall see. [;)

Sanded all the paint off the barrel so it can "age" naturally...about ready to make the cut.

Attachments

• DSC05437.jpg
    DSC05437.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 6
While I am waiting on metal I worked on a couple of small things this morning. When I traded for the truck it had these long spike lugnuts up front which I did not care for...going to put them to use separating the flat bed railing.

Also added a gooseneck plate I had lying about...might get called upon to haul a haywagon sometime. Drilling those holes did'nt help my arthritic elbows one bit. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC05438.jpg
    DSC05438.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05439.jpg
    DSC05439.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 29
Something like this...

Attachments

• DSC05442.jpg
    DSC05442.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC05444.jpg
    DSC05444.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05447.jpg
    DSC05447.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
What do you think if I took about 2/3's of the remaining half barrel and made it into a bumper/grille instead of the junk that is currently up front? Would need to cut some cooling holes of course.

Attachments

• DSC05445.jpg
    DSC05445.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05446.jpg
    DSC05446.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
To me that looks really bad. Just my opinion.

If you like it, go ahead and do it. It's your truck. :D

It would look worse than this? Keep in mind I have it just wedged into place at the moment...It would be recessed further in and cut down as well. I was just thinking it would tie-in the look with the barrel at the rear. I could even get "artsy" with the plasma cutter with the right idea lol.

It's either this or a large oak push type board...I can't stand what is there currently.

Attachments

• DSC05411.jpg
    DSC05411.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC05445.jpg
    DSC05445.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm not a fan of the barrel either...granted, the grille does look a lot like a moustache, but the barrel isn't an improvement. Not to my eye anyway.

Latest posts

Back