Fan control switch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Banned
I know this has been asked, but what is the best electrical automatic fan control switch ??? I need something to keep from burning up my fan..

I've researched it before. IF I remember right you can build your own set up for cheap out of oem parts.

What you need is a 190-210 temperature sensor that will complete the circuit to ground triggering your relay to turn on your fan. Use a 30 amp, 4 pin Bosch relay. Go to a good auto parts store, not a chain, and ask them about the temperature sensor. If I get a chance I will look it up for you, but family is pestering me now, sorry.

I typically use a nissan thermostatic fan switch from any of the 80s-90s cars on the return side of the radiator hose, which trips the fan relay... They thread into a bung, and have an O-ring seal if I remember correctly... they are very inexpensive and work well...

For what's it's worth, I'm using a Volvo fan that has a low and high speed. I've got it wired to run on low, which is fairly quiet, whenever the ignition is on. And the high speed kicks on when the sensor tells it the temp is above 180*. The sensor came off a 70 AMC six banger with an idiot light. Got it hooked thru a double relay.

Quick wiring image

1003cct_23_o+electric_fan_controls_methods+electric_fan_relay_wiring.jpg

fan

I have ran this kit for 2 years now with no problems, I have this fan kit and a cheep'o alum rad for 65 mustang, it keeps my big caddy motor cool. ebay # 171059856076

I wired mine like a mechanical, If the engine is on, fan is on, I let the thermostat
do its thing. The main thing is put it on a good relay and heavy wire, I put it on the ign circuit so I don't have to remember a switch, and a relay so as to not get a back feed and run on.

Latest posts

Back