Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys the more I work on this Coupe the more it looks crude, being Home built and designed. Tons of mistakes and miss designs and most will get covered over with fillers and other stuff. But that's what you get when you are not in a factory setting with good equipment. I will plunge onward and see what I get.

I fooled around making a battery box for the Coupe. I found I don’t have room in the front any longer with all that’s been done. So I moved to the trunk and that’s where the battery will stay. I have some snaps.

Attachments

• HPIM5919.jpg
    HPIM5919.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM5920.jpg
    HPIM5920.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5921.jpg
    HPIM5921.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5922.jpg
    HPIM5922.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM5918.jpg
    HPIM5918.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17
Still waiting for my wiring stuff. So I attached the rear valance piece that I cut from the sheet when I 1st got it. I needed a full length piece so I put it on today before it rust up. That's about it except for painting the battery box it will be hard to do once bolted down.

Attachments

• HPIM5925.jpg
    HPIM5925.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 31
Looking at the photo it all looks off, but I knew I would have to extend the right rear of my trunk lid with a skin it was off when i first made it. Once I do that and do the body filler to get a lip on the trunk I will be ok. It is off quite a bit the right side is shorter than the left. I dont remember how I did that but I did.

Maybe it doesn't look exactly like a Model A, but I like the fact that you made something unique and applaud the about of effort you have put into this car. Keep going with the build and keep posting your progress for us![cl

Okay. some of my wire stuff came I used shrink tubing to splice wires back on the main harness that plugs into the back of the dash. I have all of them done and most of the dash stuff works and lights up. I have a chart of what all the wires are and color codes.I used a small 12 battery charger for my power source. I will use most of the stuff in the dash with the exception of the gas gauge. turbo gauge and probably the tachometer as I dont think it will work off a coil like the old ones used to. I have one of them ill probably use that. Most of the warming lights work, high beam indicator, 4 way flashers, oil, bat, temp and dash lights. So I am please i will have at least this amount of goodies. My ATC fuses holders came today but I have to wait for my terminal ends maybe tomorrow it will come. I need to get my fuse panel up and running so i can hook all this stuff up. I soldered all the splices before i covered them with shrink tubing. remember always use Rosin Core solder for electrical wiring, if it does not sat Rosin Core dont use it. It could be acid core used for tin and will corrode all your wiring in about a month or so. Be watchful on this. i have a few snaps

Attachments

• HPIM5927.jpg
    HPIM5927.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM5928.jpg
    HPIM5928.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 13
I modified my trunk some to get a better fit of the valance I added a piece on the bottom of the trunk lid to even up the side lengths.It looks much better I still have more to do but I used what metal I had before i run out.Ill get a few snaps tomorrow.

My terminal wire ends arrived today. I started the fuse box and have some snaps of the rear valance work where i had to straighten out the trunks side length as one side was an inch shorter. I'm also ready to bolt down the battery box in the trunk all painted and caulked the seams

Attachments

• HPIM5932.jpg
    HPIM5932.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM5938.jpg
    HPIM5938.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM5935.jpg
    HPIM5935.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM5934.jpg
    HPIM5934.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM5933.jpg
    HPIM5933.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM5931.jpg
    HPIM5931.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM5930.jpg
    HPIM5930.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 34
put a coat of paint on the fuse box and tested some switches for down the road. A;so took the time to mount my dual oil filter set up it has been dangling for a while. I found the only place to hang them where I can change the filters easily. and away from heat sources.

Attachments

• HPIM5939.jpg
    HPIM5939.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5940.jpg
    HPIM5940.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 16
Lazy day only thing done was to install a home made grommet in the fuse panel for exit wires. I saved some hoses from washers i got from the local dump when i was saving sheet metal. I found that the end of one of the hoses had a step down in diameter and had a ring to go around it to stop it from falling out. I cut this off drilled a hole where i needed it and installed the grommet and the ring to secure it. Its large enough for lots of wires. Plus I added some mounting tabs on the top edge of the panel and one on the bottom. The place i found to put the panel is on the passengers side top right side kick panel. It got in the way of the clutch pedal on the drivers side, No big deal just a few longer wires for some stuff.

Attachments

• HPIM5941.jpg
    HPIM5941.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5943.jpg
    HPIM5943.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5942.jpg
    HPIM5942.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
Yep.....

put a coat of paint on the fuse box and tested some switches for down the road. A;so took the time to mount my dual oil filter set up it has been dangling for a while. I found the only place to hang them where I can change the filters easily. and away from heat sources.

hate those flash oil fires...lol.... looks like the spot for them to reside....nice![cl

Still getting ready to move in the Merkur for a chop job to Pickup. I did a little on my Coupe. I took out the dash and painted the underside so it wont rust . I also coated the tubes that holds the dash. I let it dry and installed it again its not coming out again regardless. My shop is as clean a it's going to be. Tomorrow I plan an moving in the Merkur. And I will push out the Coupe and get some full photos of it. This is the plan. have a few snaps

Attachments

• HPIM5944.jpg
    HPIM5944.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM5945.jpg
    HPIM5945.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5946.jpg
    HPIM5946.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM5947.jpg
    HPIM5947.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM5948.jpg
    HPIM5948.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5949.jpg
    HPIM5949.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5950.jpg
    HPIM5950.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 13
Mission Completed, My 18HP Riding Lawn mower Craftsman pulled the Coupe out of the garage with no room to spare. I fetched the Merkur from behind the garage and yanked her around front. I had help guiding it into the shop close fit but its in. I found the correct spot for some tubing on the floor of the Merkur when i cut the back roof down and off to make a pick-up. The framing from the rear seat front lip framing is level and a good place to start my tubing when I start this operation. I think if I weld in the braces where i found this spot it will frame the roof and rear window as well as connect to the truck bed. Any way that’s that. I took some photos of the Coupe while it was outside. I knew it was sort of small but it looks smaller than I thought being outside and full length to look at. What is is is i have some snaps I’m all set for winter Sept 13 marked my one year anniversary of the start of this Coupe from scratch.

Attachments

• HPIM5951.jpg
    HPIM5951.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 57
  • HPIM5959.jpg
    HPIM5959.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM5958.jpg
    HPIM5958.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM5955.jpg
    HPIM5955.jpg