Homemada Tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HomemadeTools.net admin checking in :) Thanks for the kind words.

Old thread, I know, but thought you guys might like to know that we now list homemade tools by site, so you can see, for example: All homemade tools from RatRodsRule.com.

If we've missed any homemade tools built by RatRodsRule members, let me know and I'll get them added. We always fully credit every build to the original builder, and the originating site, and we link back to each originating post.

That site has spurred several tool builds for me...

might not have been exactly but close...it's a good thought provoker....:D

I was using my old thread die holder the other day and wanted to show it to you. When you're making U-bolts you can't get a conventional die handle to turn past the other leg of the U-bolt so you need an extension so I made a pipe holder. There's an old half inch drive socket welded in one end and a piece of square tubing welded in the depth of the die in the other end. I bored a hole in the side of the pipe near the bottom, tapped it and threaded a sharpened bolt into it that will go right into the little countersunk hole in the side of the die.
Anyhow, I have two different sizes of these gizmos as I have two different sizes of dies in my set.

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 122
I was using my old thread die holder the other day and wanted to show it to you. When you're making U-bolts you can't get a conventional die handle to turn past the other leg of the U-bolt so you need an extension so I made a pipe holder. There's an old half inch drive socket welded in one end and a piece of square tubing welded in the depth of the die in the other end. I bored a hole in the side of the pipe near the bottom, tapped it and threaded a sharpened bolt into it that will go right into the little countersunk hole in the side of the die.
Anyhow, I have two different sizes of these gizmos as I have two different sizes of dies in my set.
Cool tool. I like.

Musing... I love making my own tools. :D
Is the die sitting in a hex receptacle?
Does it clog up with thread shavings?
Probably not. I just thought looking at it that a slot or two in the sides of the barrel would allow one to blow out any build up. Kind of like a hole saw. it would for sure offer an easy way to add a little cutting oil.

Skip, Thank you.
My dies are round so the only thing that holds them from turning is the little set screw on the side.[not the best].
There are no little holes in the side to let out the shavings although that doesn't seem to be a problem as there is a lot of room in that big old pipe. Some little holes in the side would sure make it easier to add cutting fluid, Good thinking.

Skip, Thank you.
My dies are round so the only thing that holds them from turning is the little set screw on the side.[not the best].
There are no little holes in the side to let out the shavings although that doesn't seem to be a problem as there is a lot of room in that big old pipe. Some little holes in the side would sure make it easier to add cutting fluid, Good thinking.
Most of my dies are hex shaped. Now that I think about it, though, I do have another small set that are round.

Any way we look at it, you have a cool tool there, Sir. Perfect for the job that it was intended for.

A build I check occasionally.

He does it like this.

Attachments

• BG1.JPG
    BG1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 123
  • BG2.JPG
    BG2.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 121
Here's another poormans lathe tool. I used it for spinning a steering wheel on. You could use it on anything that the centre hole is weird like splined or tapered, or both. It is a piece of 7/16" fine thread redi-rod with two old wheel nuts facing each other. Just chuck that up in your 1/2" drill and you have a lathe for the dangdest stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back