1934 Ford PU Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the parts.
I didn't know that you were working with students on this. [cl [cl
Even though my daughters are part of the tech age I taught them both how to use tools...As well as how to drive a stick shift.:D
Torchie

I’m just building parts at school to show my students how to layout and fabricate parts. Unfortunately school would not allow a project like this because it’s not part of the curriculum as a whole. The parts I’m building fall right into design, layout and fabrication. I show the students the parts installed so they can see the progress and see where and how they are used.

I’m just building parts at school to show my students how to layout and fabricate parts. Unfortunately school would not allow a project like this because it’s not part of the curriculum as a whole. The parts I’m building fall right into design, layout and fabrication. I show the students the parts installed so they can see the progress and see where and how they are used.
Keep up the good work. Everyone can't be a high tech person. And even the ones that do go that route need to understand the basics. [cl

It's great that your teaching the next generation. I find the same thing with most of the kids that will come and hang out in the garage. They seem to be awful green. We were those wet behind the ears kids once upon a time and someone had the patience to show us what they knew. Thank you for being one of those guys.

Nice job on the parts.
I didn't know that you were working with students on this. [cl [cl
Even though my daughters are part of the tech age I taught them both how to use tools...As well as how to drive a stick shift.:D
Torchie

Torchie: I tried to teach my daughters to use tools, one took to it naturaly the other works at it but can get it done. They both started driving standard shift pickup trucks at 12 years old. one even figured out how to shift an L8000 with a 5+2 speed on her own.

It's great that your teaching the next generation. I find the same thing with most of the kids that will come and hang out in the garage. They seem to be awful green. We were those wet behind the ears kids once upon a time and someone had the patience to show us what they knew. Thank you for being one of those guys.

Kenny, I have to say I love working with my students and both my grandsons seem to be taking an interest in this project. I also remember hanging with my dads friends at there garage and asking a lot of questions, thank goodness they didn’t mind answering all those questions! :D

Torchie: I tried to teach my daughters to use tools, one took to it naturaly the other works at it but can get it done. They both started driving standard shift pickup trucks at 12 years old. one even figured out how to shift an L8000 with a 5+2 speed on her own.

:cool: :D
My daughters are a combination of my Mechanical skills and their Mom's artistic abilities. My oldest things more like me though and her sister thinks more abstractly like her artist Mom. It's always an interesting mix kenny.

Drweld.
We were all young punks once. Some of us are still....at heart.:D
Most of the guys that taught me are gone now. So I try to pass on what I now to the next ones in line.
Torchie

Wish more kids were willing to put in the effort....

I've met a few that showed interest but when you got them into the shop, all they wanted to do was play on their phones... texting constantly... give them something to do and it takes an hour to do a 5 minute job cause they won't stay focused... Not giving up.... my 6 year old grandson shows more interest and motivation that the last few teens I've tried to mentor.... [S

I have friends that bring thier kids and sometimes grand kids and I have nephews and some of thier friends. They are all different, some are naturals, some can be taught and some will never get. and they are all ok. They will all find thier niche sooner or later. If I can teach them anything, I hope they learn to think for themselves and to think outside the box. And that there is always a solution to the problem.

Kenny you can only hope that something sinks in or spurs their thought processes to do something constructive... takes a real positive interest in something for some of them to focus... I started to request that all cell phones be turned off while we are working.... I've had some just not ask to come back and help out..... if they really are into cars and fabrication they usually call asking when they can come back in to help... Plant the seed and see what grows from there... so to speak...

34 cab finally goes together

I finally found some time to start putting the cab together and begin to figure out how and where the cab will sit on my chassis. I also found that the drivers door was hit pretty good and I’ll have to rework it in order to use it. I made my cardboard template and sat it on the chassis and found I’ll have to adjust the front end or lengthen the rear! Any suggestions on which would be better? I’m thinking I should mount the motor and tranny and relook at the cab setup maybe that would determine which direction I should go? :confused:[S

Attachments

• 9ED76C3A-9A23-4A0D-90A0-7BCE1FD6091C.jpg
    9ED76C3A-9A23-4A0D-90A0-7BCE1FD6091C.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 62153E40-1B04-4DCA-924C-45438D99F252.jpg
    62153E40-1B04-4DCA-924C-45438D99F252.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
  • B56B8402-8ED2-4759-B802-234806219369.jpg
    B56B8402-8ED2-4759-B802-234806219369.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 30F78145-8E27-46B4-A2CF-0DA7E1F8C233.jpg
    30F78145-8E27-46B4-A2CF-0DA7E1F8C233.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 21C8823A-9544-4F4E-918B-D9ECEF34E0AE.jpg
    21C8823A-9544-4F4E-918B-D9ECEF34E0AE.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1E720170-8E05-4598-8639-BBCA2280D29D.jpg
    1E720170-8E05-4598-8639-BBCA2280D29D.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 9DB9E683-F577-479F-82C0-C511AACE8758.jpg
    9DB9E683-F577-479F-82C0-C511AACE8758.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 33
Lookin' good.

If you for sure have to lengthen the frame, you may as well add a little "Z" to the front. Right about where hans suggests.

I think you are right to mock up the engine and trans before getting out the cutting devices.

Last edited:
Nice looking project. I'd put the motor in and get all the front stuff figured out, then set the cab up. Some changes can be made later at either end.

Engine clearances

I'm trying to mock up the drive train. But I'm unsure how much room I can leave between where the engine sits and the front perch for the front end, it currently sits approximately 8" from the front of the motor to the edge of the perch. If I leave it about where it sits now I can move the cab forward enough to give me wheel clarance from the back of the cab and I believe the tranny will clear also. If that's too close my other thought was to cut the cab re-work the sheet metal and move it back 6" and then I'm thinking I would have to lengthen the rear and move the rear axle back or "Z" the front end to give me more room up front, like Skip suggested. Any thoughts on this? :confused:[;)[dr

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 21
From here, it looks like you have enough room for a radiator in that 8 inches, and you have enough room for a distributor in front of the fire wall. That is pretty much all you need.

Depending on tire size, it looks like you still have a bit of wiggle room in the back If you need some more in front. The center of the firewall can also be modified to gain an inch or two.

I'd put some more pieces together (crank pulley, fan, radiator, etc.) and see if they fit. And of course, how they look.

There is also no rule that says the radiator has to be behind the axle.

So many options to play with.

I agree with Skip. Assemble more parts. fan, shroud. radiator, hoses. altenator, grill shell for room in front of the engine. All these things add up. even small stuff like the radiator hoses add distance. On the back end, the bell housing takes up a lot of room in the footwell. If you make the cab too small inside you won't enjoy it as much.

Lengthening the frame in front now will give you room to place things where you want them. Then the longer wheelbase will give you a little better ride and a lot better handling on the road. I like the cartoony look of my short wheelbase cars but they are twitchy on the highway.

Latest posts

Back