scrap metal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can hold livestock and metal stock

I got two hog panels, bent the first one into a 4ft. by 4ft. by 4ft. square for the odd stuff. Then cut the other one in half, leaned the two pieces up against the back of my shop and shoved the pointed ends into the ground. Works great for tubing and bar stock off varying lengths. Plus I slide flat stock in-between and behind it.

Note: throw some concrete board on the ground under it to keep your metal from rotting in the dirt

i dont see why you couldnt do something like this inside the shop too

It will escape from the scrap yard?

I work in a recycling yard, oh no the old cars come home to my place and get sold I have to pay for them by the ton which bites but it well get to live on. The good scrape iron "plate and angle" I keep stored in the yard until I need it. We got a car in one day that had s/b/c 186-202 heads "double bump with holes" MINE, a week later we got a old Buick that had a Toker manifold for a s/b/c laying in the back seat MINE. LOL... this one came in, I saved her life.

Attachments

• Farmington-20110325-00080.jpg
    Farmington-20110325-00080.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Farmington-20110325-00078.jpg
    Farmington-20110325-00078.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I work in a recycling yard, oh no the old cars come home to my place and get sold I have to pay for them by the ton which bites but it well get to live on. The good scrape iron "plate and angle" I keep stored in the yard until I need it. We got a car in one day that had s/b/c 186-202 heads "double bump with holes" MINE, a week later we got a old Buick that had a Toker manifold for a s/b/c laying in the back seat MINE. LOL... this one came in, I saved her life.

Awsome that tin is almost better than the tin for the shorty tub in my Nash build. Realy, if I didn't have to many going now I would realy kick it around. I go to your area around summer time I'll check back with you to see if you still got it, I will sleep better at night knowing it didn't get crushed

Great Job Gus!!!!!!!!

Glad you can save some of them.
Every time a project body or parts car gets scrapped,the end of our hobby looms closer.They only built so many,and when they are gone thats it.

Metal storage question

59imp:
Some buddies of mine at a rod shop had a great idea I used. They procured
some 10" dia green plastic sewer pipe sections (about 12 feet long), the ones with the belled seal ends and stuck them together. They supported them in four places and made up some end caps with seals using metal. Now you have an approximately 24' long plastic tube to store your longer individual pieces. This keeps the metal dry and less rusty so welding is easier. It was a bit hard to purchase the pipe at a reasonable cost but I found some at a building recycle yard. I also use buckets, milk crates, wooden boxes and built a shelf for under 3' pieces. When I had my shop I cut some 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 1/4" angle iron pieces about 4' long. I then welded shorter angle pieces (about a foot long) onto those angles perpendicularly spacing them about 18" apart. Next I leaned the welded angles up against the wall and fastened them to the studs about four feet apart. You now have a metal rack supported by the floor and the wall and it doesn't have to take up much floor space. You could use the same idea but not so heavy duty for odd shapes and sizes. Just some ideas that have worked for me. Later Steve

Furnace002.jpg

My big problem was having crates full of small pieces. Since building brackets is a major part of rod bulding it is nice to save small scraps. Beats having to wack material off long stock all the time. These small cheap bins allow me to sort the material by type and size. Has saved me a lot of time compared to dumping a crate of scrap on the floor and digging through it to find just the right piece.

It's amazing how much stuff you can fit between the 2x4 studs of a wall.
I was going to insulate my whole garage but im only going to do some of it so I can keep stuffing the walls with parts and metal

gutters

Had some guttering left over from doing the house, cut a piece to fit across two studs. Put caps on the ends and mounted it behind the compressor. I use it to hold air chucks, blow guns, etc. A lot of my shelving is made with 2x4's. On some of them the end is open, so I put plywood on the bottom. I used screws because I was afraid nails would back out. Presto! Instant hidden storage, and the shelf does double duty.:D

I just hauled in a small pile of metal that was in the middle of a farmers field. He had uncovered it so he could run his disc through the field without hitting it every time he went over it. It was a roof off a 40's car, a rusty tank (flattened) odds and ends and fencing. Put it in my nissan pickup. Got almost 90 bux and bought a pr of stainless stone guards for my 49 pontiac:) I also have a barrel for scrap aluminum and copper. My dad has a barrel half full of brass he's been working on for over 50 years[dr Waste not want not.

Latest posts

Back