Homemade whitewalls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, my white walls were done by grinding them wider. My rear tires were white letters, and the front narrow white walls. The front , I did by turning the wheel by hand and using a 40 grit snading disc. The rear, well I jacked the truck up put the thing in reverse, and let the truck do all the work. I just held the grinder in place. About an hour start to finish. Here's the results.
1123001451a.jpg

I did mine with Kilts white rubber roof coating. I also think the key to painting your white walls is the cleaning and skuffing process has to be throw so the paint has something to hold on to.

Attachments

• Beatersville2010 061.jpg
    Beatersville2010 061.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 62
I tried painting WWW's for my 52 Poncho. First thing I did was find a set of good used tires to deal with the new tire oil release problem. I also found a set of tires with a ridge where I wanted the Whites to be...ended up with about 3 1/2 inches...After taping off everything other than where I wanted the paint, I scuffed the surface and wiped it down with paint thinner and let dry. Repeated a couple more times. The paint that I used for the first coat was that Kilz stain blocker in an aerosol can. Actually did about 4 coats of this and then followed it up with about another 4 coats of semi gloss white Krylon. Recoating after each previous coat got tacky. Everything looked great when I was finished...until I took my car for a spin....2 blocks later, and everything was cracked. Very fine cracks mind you, but very white. After a while, I really didn't mind the cracked look...gave it that weathered look. They still look nicer than the original WWW that I have hanging in my garage. I'm sure there are better products out there, but cheaper is always better in my opinion...cost me about $30 and maybe 2 1/2 hours...

WWW Tire Paint

I just noticed some body is selling White Wall Tire Paint on E-bay, supposed to be some kinda rubber polimer paint. Anyone know anything about that?

I painted mine with vinyl interior paint because its flexy. Its been about 800 miles and they look good still. Pics are in my project thread for the luv....keep in mindbit was a test on the old tires to see how they will hold up.

I painted my buddys bobber with elastrometric white roofing paint. The first month or so they were bright white and looked nice but now, anout a year later, the oild have come through the paint and i personally think it looks even better!

Attachments

• jrsbike.jpg
    jrsbike.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 49
  • jrs bike2.jpg
    jrs bike2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 51
  • jrs bike3.jpg
    jrs bike3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 46
  • jrs bike4.jpg
    jrs bike4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 59
Well reading this post defanitly saved me some money. I will be doing this one way or the other. With the motor I'm building, I know tires will be in high need. A cheap way to keep the wide white walls on all the time, even better.

Thanks for the tips and ideas guys!

I heard on the hamb, rubber roof coating paint holds up great. Most home improvement stores have it. I tried krylon fusion and it did not last.

Last edited:
I heard on the hamb, rubber roof coating paint holds up great. Most home improvement stores have it. I tried krylon fusion and it did not last.

I have wondered about using that white rubber they use for the roofing material itself, on flat roofs. I know a guy who used to install that stuff, and it came in 55 gal drums. I think that there was/is also a white rubber roofing material that comes in a roll, then they heat it (I think) at the seams (overlaps) to seal it. It would of course have to be the liquid type, unless the white wall rings could be cut out and then sort of baked onto the tire.

There is a recap place near here, and I've also wondered if they could lay down and then vulcanize a layer of white rubber, how much that would cost, and how well it would hold up.

Latest posts

Back