Chop!! Does this look right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyboy

Never to old to have a happy childhood
A friend of mine that has chopped several tops came over today and we taped off the lines for me to cut. He doesn't use the laid back A post method. His method will cut the top into 5 pieces and then fill in the gaps. I hope this is right. Please add comments because next week I'll start cutting. I still have to brace the inside. He says that all I need is two braces, one on each door opening, but I think I'll X brace it also. Here are the pics so if you see anything wrong please let me know. Thanks. Harleyboy
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

It cant hurt to over brace it,If you have an extra top it will make it easier to fill in the gaps.Keep us informed as you do it LFE

doors

This way the doors don't need re worked? But the piece you'll need for the top...at the door seal, might be hard to replacate with out a metal brake. Looks good Start cuttin..

SFlames, If you mean the part of the rain gutter that will be missing I think I can use the piece that I cut out of the A post and if you mean the piece of the top of the door that will be missing, my friend has two door tops that he said I could get that piece out of. I'm trying to think of everything and thanks for the feedback. HB

the only reason I dont like chopping that way is because it makes the look of the chop different. sometimes the top ends up looking "fat"

Brace it good!

I don't see any problems, brace it up good.

I agree!!! When u cut the top off... the cowl can move easily making door alignment harder! Looks good otherwise. It's most important to take u're time & make good even cuts so it's easier to weld back together.

BoB

Don't worry!

My buddy said the same thing. He said at worse I would end up with a convertible!!!!! And that would be OK too. HB

Harley,
That's the main reason I leaned my posts back but u just need to take your time & make sure u get the angles right when you put the parts back together. Bill Hinds makes small braces to hold the front parts up B4 welding them back together & welding the "strip" in.

Tripper, When you lean the post back do you not have to cut the top at all? I know you probably still have to kerf it to get it to line back up, but I don't know if you have to cut the top all up. My bud says that this is the most simple way but I don't think he has ever chopped one by leaning the A post. He's the only person on hand to help so I guess I need to do it the way he knows best. I want to do most of it myself, but I need his help getting started. I also need the most simple way. Thanks for all your thoughts. HB

Tripper, When you lean the post back do you not have to cut the top at all? I know you probably still have to kerf it to get it to line back up, but I don't know if you have to cut the top all up. My bud says that this is the most simple way but I don't think he has ever chopped one by leaning the A post. He's the only person on hand to help so I guess I need to do it the way he knows best. I want to do most of it myself, but I need his help getting started. I also need the most simple way. Thanks for all your thoughts. HB

HB,
I just like the look of the lean back post method. But when u lean the posts back but... u have to do more work on the doors. Your friends way is good & probably easier but you just have to b a little more careful aligning the resulting pieces. Don't let it bother you... just take u're time when it comes to putting the pieces back together & take u're time welding the roof back up so u don't warp it. I'm sure there are similar chops on here, KB & the HAMB for inspiration!

BoB

BoB

Is there a reason you have to cut the top twice in the front? Why not just once in the middle. And don't you have to cut the back part of the top and put a strip in it to. How will the back and the front line up in the middle of the doors if you don't cut the back half? Looks like the front half would be wider than the back if you put a strip in it. and not in the back.:confused::confused:

Good catch Rusty 50! The two cuts on the front are to preserve the point at the center of the windshield. But the rear will need a strip added as well, but not in the center or the top of the back glass will be wider than the bottom.

That's right. On the 47 to 53 Chevy trucks the top comes to a point at the middle of the windshield. I don't think you could add a strip in the middle and get that point back right. The back half just hasn't been marked yet, but it will have to be cut also. Even with all this the rear corners will have to be kerfed a little. If the top was straight up it would be so simple but with it going in as it goes up it's a little more difficult. I'm excited about getting started and I appreciate all the comments and advise. Keep 'em coming. HB

Chop!! Does this look right?

Did one of these a couple of years ago. A second top will save a lot of frustration.

Tip... Make a line 1'' above and below where you want to cut the windshield posts and the rear corners. Make your cuts a little shy of your marks and grind the joint so you have 2'' between the upper and lower marks. Helps to keep everything even.

Youngster

HB; I hope you post LOTS of pics.. I am about to start the chop on my 50f1. 5 inches, the same way your doing yours. This is my first chop. I got another cab to use to get the strips I need to put back in. Its still a little scary, Just have to make that FIRST CUT then there's no turning back. :eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back